Author Topic: German sailor in Aberystwyth  (Read 4612 times)

Offline vienna

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
German sailor in Aberystwyth
« on: Tuesday 23 May 17 14:58 BST (UK) »
Is their anyone out there who can help me with this my 2x Great Grandfather John Brodigan ( strongly suspect that is not the correct spelling of his name ) was married in Aber in1877 and served in the merchant navy , on crew lists he gives his place of birth as Aberystwyth Kiel and Brake I'm 100% sure he wasn't born in Wales but how can I find out exactly where he was born ? Would be grateful for any advice.

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
Re: German sailor in Aberystwyth
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 15:50 BST (UK) »
Does he appear on any British census?   If so it should give a place of birth and rough year of birth.   You can then check free BMD for his birth registration if born after 1837.   You can do the latter anyway, if nothing else to rule out a British birth.   Information in free BMD is virtually complete in the 19th century.
Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline vienna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 16:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks for reply . The only places I have been able to locate him are on crew lists and his marriage certificate believe he was born between 1845-1849 , also he appears in some articles in Welsh news papers online where he is referred to as a foreigner married to a local woman .

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 17:30 BST (UK) »
Are you sure he is German, Brodigan is more of an Irish name.   Mid to late 19th century Aberystwyth was a fairly important port trading not only with British ports, especially Liverpool, but even trans Atlantic.   Was his wife Martha Jones?
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 17:31 BST (UK) »
There is a John Brodegan on some crew lists but presumably not your man as he is born Liverpool and living there in 1881.
Is there a place of birth on the crew lists you found? Sorry, I see you have given that.
What is his occupation on the children's birth certificates?

What is your John's father's name and occupation on the marriage certificate?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 17:35 BST (UK) »
There is a Brodigan family on censuses with the wife Martha and various children.   They are living in Aberystwyth but the husband is missing - typical of seamen (also my great great grandfather but he was a lead miner, name was not Brodigan)

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 19:21 BST (UK) »
Several entries for John Brodigan born between 1843 and 1848 in merchant navy lists on Findmypast, could be the same one or probably different ones.
Birthplaces vary, Kiel, Aberystwyth.
Details of ships and rank.

Cathy
Added---sorry. I see you may have this info already
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline vienna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 19:45 BST (UK) »
Pretty sure he's not Irish although I know the name would suggest it Kiel and Brake are both ports in Germany and if he was Irish why not just say so . He did marry Martha Jones in 1877 . Thank you everyone for your replies .

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 20:16 BST (UK) »
Do you have his father's name and occupation?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk