Author Topic: Shepherdson children born Ontario 1887-1897  (Read 3304 times)

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Shepherdson children born Ontario 1887-1897
« on: Tuesday 23 May 17 15:09 BST (UK) »
Margaret b Mar 1899 was the daughter of William Shepherdson and Mary Jane nee Hood, she appeared on the 1901 Canada census with her parents and siblings, as Maggie in Pickering, and, again at 1911 census at 153 Hart Ave, Peterborough West with them but disappeared after that.
Her sister, Minnie b 23 Mar 1897 married John Wm Simmons 2 Jan 1917 in Peterborough, and, they with 2 children, John and Helen both aged abt 3 were on the 1921 census but disappear after that. I believe John went to the US in 1922 but doesn't appear to have stayed there?
Mary Jane Shepherdson  b 15 Aug 1887 and William Shepherdson b Jan 1893 are also missing?
I believe that I've found the other 3 children.
Cr
Rosser, Henderson, Chapman, Clarkson, Harper, Healey, Horth, Page, Bowers, Ritchie, Sheen, Smith and Weymark.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Shepherdson children born Ontario 1887-1897
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 16:46 BST (UK) »
Minnie and John Simmons had a child, Robert Marshall, who died in 1921, born 1919. At the time, they were living in New Toronto, which today is known as Mimico. He is buried in Prospect Cemetery. Perhaps checking with the cemetery may provide clues as to what happened to the parents.

I found the 1922 border crossing record in Niagara Falls, and I don't believe he's yours ... says had previously been in the US for 18 months in Galveston, Texas, and had last left the US in December 1920.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 17:59 BST (UK) »
Here is the Attestation Form for William, front and back. Library and Archives Canada (LAC) is in the process of digitizing the WW1 records so William's entire military record should be available for free through LAC eventually. I think they are up to N now.

http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/personnel-records/Pages/item.aspx?IdNumber=225765

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 18:14 BST (UK) »
Minnie and John (Mr. & Mrs. John) Simmons are listed in 1935 living at 43 Alfred Street, Peterborough, in the Voters' Lists.  Also in the household is Clifford Shepherdson.

In 1949, all three are noted as living at 573 Arndon Avenue, Peterborough.  Only John and Minnie are noted in 1957.  Believe Clifford died around 1950 based on a listing on Find-a-Grave and he is buried with his parents.  They are at the Arndon address until 1974 (the latest listing available).

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 18:31 BST (UK) »
Mary Jane....

Birth record gives a birthdate for Mary Jane as 14 Nov 1890, which differs from the date in the original post? Parents William Shepherdson and Mary Jane Hood.

She married Russell Morden 16 Oct 1913 in Toronto. Much of the record uses the spelling Shepperson so father given as William Shepperson; mother Mary Hood. Mary Jane signed her name as Mary Shepherdson.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 18:44 BST (UK) »
PB, she's looking for Margaret (Maggie), a younger sister to Mary Jane.

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 21:52 BST (UK) »
There is an Emma Shepherdson, daughter of William Shepherdson and Mary Jane Hood,  that married Franklin Pennock in Pickering.
I found it at Ancestry, which has it listed under 1907, but every entry on it clearly states 1901.
Marriage date was 01 Nov 1901, with Emma being age 18, and Franklin was 19.

You stated Minnie married J. Simmons.
Polarbear named another son-in-law as Russel Morden (wife Mary).

Part of the obit for the mother, Mary Jane (Hood) from Stouffville Tribune 25 Jul 1940 newspaper lists the following pallbearers: Mssrs. F Pennock, J. Simmons, R. Morden, L. Linton, A. Jones, and C. Shepherdson.

3 of those are known son-in-laws, and one is a son.  It could be that the other two are also son in laws, so Margaret would have married a Jones or a Linton?  The obit did say all daughters were married.

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 22:06 BST (UK) »
I haven't been able to find any trace of Margaret after the 1911 census. She is certainly well hidden.

PB