Author Topic: James Hayden Morris, Professor of Music, Mount Vernon, Westchester, New York  (Read 727 times)

Offline llynboy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I would like to find the date of death and burial of James Hayden (sometimes) Haydn Morris. He was born James Morris in 1859 to Ebenezer and Ann Morris in Llanbedrog a village in the old county of Caernarfon (Gwynedd) in North Wales. He was talented musically; and his family moved to Felinheli between Caernarfon and Bangor; he was taught by William Hayden the organist at Christ Church in Caernarfon and ‘professor of music’. This is where James picked up the middle name Hayden.
In 1881 he emigrated to America settling in New York State. He earned his living as an organist and music teacher. In 1884 he married Henrietta Dietz and they had two children, Arthur 1884 and Sarah 1888. Henrietta was alive in 1890 but by 1900 James Hayden Morris was living in Mount Vernon, Westchester County; widowed with both of his children. By 1910 he was still at Mount Vernon; he had married Ada Hudson in 1904 and his daughter Sarah was still at home.
The last mention I have of James is newspaper report in September 1919. In the 1920 census Ada is living in Mount Vernon but is recorded as married; there is no sign of James. In the 1930 Ada is at Mount Vernon and was widowed so I assume that James Hayden Morris died between 1920 and 1930. He travelled quite a bit around the North Eastern States, whilst he followed his musical career.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Hayden Morris, Professor of Music, Mount Vernon, Westchester, New York
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 17:08 BST (UK) »
He died at his home in White Plains on March 2nd 1927. There's a lengthy obit and a photo in the Druid (Pittsburgh) of April 1, 1927.  He was buried at Kensico.

The obit (by his friend G T Matthews) doesn't mention Ada at all. It mentions his children and his sister's family, and his brother and a nephew, and says that his daughter Sarah had been his constant companion and helpmate since his wife died "some years ago".
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Hayden Morris, Professor of Music, Mount Vernon, Westchester, New York
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 17:16 BST (UK) »
Henrietta died August 1 1892 (probably at Mount Vernon) and was buried at Eastchester. There's a brief announcement in the Mount Vernon Daily Argus.

http://fultonhistory.com/Fulton.html

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 17:50 BST (UK) »
In the 1920 census Ada is living in Mount Vernon but is recorded as married; there is no sign of James.

In the 1920 census he is in Oakwood Avenue, White Plains with Sara. ( James H Morris, widowed, teacher, music).

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 19:12 BST (UK) »
It looks like Ada died in 22 May 1932.  Her will is mentioned in the Westchester Co. Archives index here - http://recordcenter.westchestergov.com/SurrogatesSearch.aspx

On www.fultonhistory.com, if you search for the exact phrase "Ada Louise Morris", her obituary and various mentions about her will and its proceedings going to missions are there.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 20:27 BST (UK) »
It looks like Ada was living with her mother as of the 1915 New York state census - https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:K95C-5XN

Offline llynboy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 24 May 17 07:34 BST (UK) »
I'd like to thank both of you for all the information that you've uncovered about James Hayden Morris. It's been invaluable. I'm not related to him and I'm doing the research on behalf of  friend of mine who is interested in Welsh people who emigrated to America. As is quoted in the Pittsburgh Druid, James Hayden Morris was part of a talented family, his uncle Morris Williams (Nicander) and great uncle Peter Jones (Pedr Fardd) were two of the foremost poets in Wales in the 19th century.

Thanks again.