Author Topic: Whitehill Point - Looking for Henry Storey Marshall baptism?  (Read 1705 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Whitehill Point - Looking for Henry Storey Marshall baptism?
« on: Tuesday 23 May 17 17:30 BST (UK) »
I would like to try to find the baptism of Henry Storey Marshall who was born in the Tynemouth registration district in the December quarter of 1871.

A census gives his birthplace as Whitehill point.

Does anyone know where this place is and can advise on any likely close by churches to check for baptisms?

His father was called Ralph Marshall and he was a blacksmith.  His Mother was Mary Ann.  Her previous marriage name was Spence and her maiden name was Moore.

I will be very grateful for any information/advice.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Whitehill Point - Looking for Henry Storey Marshall baptism?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 17:40 BST (UK) »
The extremely useful Northumberland Farm Index shows that it was in Chirton.
http://www.northumberland.gov.uk/WAMDocuments/75CAA247-2EB6-417F-B0C3-2838AE2897AF_1_0.pdf?nccredirect=1

There are lots of references to it if you 'google'

Here it is on a 'side by side map http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/sidebyside.cfm#zoom=16&lat=54.9926&lon=-1.4470&layers=171&right=BingHyb
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 18:04 BST (UK) »
There is a list of Anglican Churches here http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/NBL/Tynemouth, so you could check on a map which might be the nearest. Possibly St John Percy Main?
But of course you would also have to consider non-conformist churches.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 May 17 09:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Jen!  The next time I am able to get to Tyne and Wear Archives, I will check out the Church baptisms  close by starting with the one you have suggested.  Thank you too for adding the the very helpful links.  I really appreciate your help with this. :)

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Trini

• RootsChat Senior
  • Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 May 17 19:54 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Guides to the local studies collection at Discover - North Tyneside are online.

http://my.northtyneside.gov.uk/sites/default/files/web-page-related-files/Guide%201%20-%20Parish%20Records.pdf

Trini.
ALLISON/LECK/LEGG/LEMON/WINTER/RIDLEY/CRANSTON/WALTON. Northumberland and Durham

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 May 17 07:03 BST (UK) »
whitehill point
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 May 17 10:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks Trini for the guides link and to you to Radcliffe for this great photograph.  When I next go to the library I will check the Church records there.

I really appreciate these posts - thank you both! :)

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 28 May 17 10:25 BST (UK) »
Looking at the census your family certainly moved around,I had a quick look t the Bishops transcripts as they state one son is born in Wallsend think 1865 but he never showed up in  there,perhaps St Peters in North Shields would be worth checking as well depending on the exact location they were living when he was born as Dunston is also mentioned as a birth place in another census,
good luck I am sure he will appear soon
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 28 May 17 12:19 BST (UK) »
His father was called Ralph Marshall and he was a blacksmith.  His Mother was Mary Ann.  Her previous marriage name was Spence and her maiden name was Moore.

Just idle curiosity on my part  :) Since you know his parents names and his father's occupation, what additional information do you hope to gain from a possible baptism entry?