Author Topic: Lewis`s Renshaw Street Liverpool . Plaque on wall.  (Read 872 times)

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
Lewis`s Renshaw Street Liverpool . Plaque on wall.
« on: Tuesday 23 May 17 18:12 BST (UK) »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Litherland#/media/File:Peter_Litherland_Plaque.jpg

Peter Litherland
Does anyone local know if this plaque is still there.

Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
Re: Lewis`s Renshaw Street Liverpool . Plaque on wall.
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 21:23 BST (UK) »
 :)

Thank you so much.

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 May 17 11:58 BST (UK) »
I saw the plaque this morning, as described by Dawnsh.
A

Offline suds

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 May 17 16:40 BST (UK) »
I’m not sure that I can add anything useful to this thread. It’s never stopped me in the past so I’ll crash on regardless.

When I received a copy of an ancestor’s (Thomas Sudlow 1765 – 1831) will some years ago I was intrigued to see:

.......my book debts and money out at interest and my share and interest in the partnership concern now subsisting and carried on between myself and others under the firm of Litherland Davis and Company as soon as the assets of the said concern shall under our partnership articles become divisible and do and shall put place the......

I googled a bit and discovered:

From The London Gazette,  May 5 1829
Notice is hereby given that the Partnership heretofore carried on by John Mercer, Thomas Sudlow and William Davies under the firm of Litherland Davies and Company as Watch and Clock Manufacturers at Liverpool in the County of Lancaster terminated by effluxion of time on the 31st day of October last that the said Partnership was continued by mutual consent until the 31st day of December last when the same was finally dissolved by mutual consent
Wit:
John Mercer
 Thos Sudlow
 Thos Helsby
 James Allwood
Thomas Davies
Executors of Wm Davies deceased

Thomas Sudlow married Frances Mercer and I believe that John Mercer is her brother, although I can’t confirm that. A John Mercer (presumably the same one) was named an executor of Thomas Sudlow’s will along with John Sudlow.

In my wanderings I discovered that Peter Litherland was a freemason and took part in a rebellion against the official Masonic leadership.

From MQ Magazine, April 2005.

Ironically, many of the Liverpool-based Masonic rebels were originally from outside the city, such as Gage, who was born in Norfolk, John Robert Goepel, a jeweller who originated from London, and James Broadhurst, a watchmaker from Great Sankey near Warrington.
James Broadhurst was baptised on 25th August 1771 at St. Mary’s Church, Great Sankey. He was the son of a watchmaker, and followed in his father’s footsteps, eventually moving to Liverpool, where he set himself up in business and married Christian Litherland at St. Nicholas’ Church in Liverpool in 1794.
Christian was the sister of Liverpool watchmaker Peter Litherland, who had also originated from Warrington, and was famous for inventing the patent lever watch. Litherland had relocated to Liverpool in 1790, and James seemed to have been close to this fellow watchmaking family.

How the company passed from Peter Litherland to Thomas Sudlow and others I have no idea.

As I said, I’m not sure it adds anything but it might be useful to someone in due course.

Regards
Suds

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 May 17 16:56 BST (UK) »
That`s interesting. I am tracing this line from Adeline Belinda  born Shropshire., daughter of Richard Litherland .

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/5639338/person/6862932921/gallery