Author Topic: Eastwell and Westwell  (Read 2716 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Eastwell and Westwell
« on: Wednesday 24 May 17 00:45 BST (UK) »
Hi

Is anyone able to do a look up for a couple of christenings in either Eastwell or Westwell probably between 1630 and 1665?

I am trying to locate the following people

Thomas Brett and Ann Grannett (Grannet, Granet, Granett, or Gravett).

These two people were married in Canterbury by licence in 1679. The entry has been transcribed on Findmypast and appears several times, each time with Ann's surname spelt slightly differently (as above). All other details are the same and the archivist at Canterbury has told me it must be the same person.

The original entry [which can be viewed via Findmypast] reads:

"Tho. Brett & Ann Grannett of Eastwell Mar the 10th December 1679"

I would be interested to know if there is any sign of a Thomas Brett or Ann Grannett (or other spelling) born in either Eastwell or Westwell between about 1640 and 1669.

If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Matt

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Eastwell and Westwell
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 May 17 07:51 BST (UK) »
Eastwell & Westwell baptism transcripts area available on FindMyPast for the period you require. Have you tried searching with just first names  :-\
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 May 17 22:49 BST (UK) »
Eastwell & Westwell baptism transcripts area available on FindMyPast for the period you require. Have you tried searching with just first names  :-\

Hiya

Thanks for that info. I tried Findmypast today looking for both surnames but couldn't find anything that fitted. I must admit that so far I've only checked the Westwell registers as I couldn't find the Eastwell ones on there (I did a search for Eastwell but nothing came up).

I've not tried searching using just the first names yet as that will probably bring up loads of results. Would there be any way of refining it? Would searching with the first name and only the first name of the surname (such as Thomas B or Ann G) help?

Thanks again

Matt

Offline Dyingout

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Father Charles in his hockey playing days
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 May 17 01:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt
Although most of Canterburys See's Parish records are held in the Cathedral vaults it is still the individual parishes property.
Therefore it is down to the individual parishes Parochial Church Council whether these records are allowed to be transcribed.
I know this as a friend if mine is on our local P.C.C and they flatly refuse to have them transcribed.
So Eastwell maybe one of those other parishes that are living in the past and wont allow theirs either.
I believe they are available to view by appointment though.
Dow/Dowe Norfolk and Suffolk
Mulley/Wilden Suffolk
Loome/lombe Norfolk

Offline redtonyt

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 May 17 06:13 BST (UK) »
According to a transcription there was an Ann Gravet baptised in November 1665 at Westwell but, sadly she was buried the following December.  She was the daughter of Thomas.

Thomas also had another daughter and son baptised at Westwell.

There were (slightly later at Westwell) eleven Gravets baptised to Jeremiah and Susan.

Also at Westwell there was also a solitary Gravet baptised to William and Ann in 1670.

Not much help, I am afraid.

Thomas Brett was Widower when he married Ann Gravett; his first wife was Martha Jones who he married on 28 August 1673 (by Licence) at St Margaret, Canterbury.  According to another transcription he was said to be aged 28 and a Yeoman of Westwell.

Tony

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 May 17 22:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt
Although most of Canterburys See's Parish records are held in the Cathedral vaults it is still the individual parishes property.
Therefore it is down to the individual parishes Parochial Church Council whether these records are allowed to be transcribed.
I know this as a friend if mine is on our local P.C.C and they flatly refuse to have them transcribed.
So Eastwell maybe one of those other parishes that are living in the past and wont allow theirs either.
I believe they are available to view by appointment though.

Hi

Thanks for that helpful info. Unfortunately I don't live near Eastwell, or in Kent at all, myself so I wouldn't be able to view the records personally at the church. It's a shame I think as Kent in a beautiful county. Thankfully I have seen some transcripts for some Eastwell records online but I think they were for a later period.

Do you think it is worth me writing to the church to see if they can help or check the records?

Interestingly there is an Ann Gravett born in Cornhill, London in 1655 and I have a note from another researcher which has her married to Thomas Brett in Canterbury on the same date. Is it possible that Ann moved from London to Eastwell, possibly with her family as a child? Where would I find settlement records to check this?

Any other ideas would be welcome.

Thanks again

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 May 17 22:47 BST (UK) »
According to a transcription there was an Ann Gravet baptised in November 1665 at Westwell but, sadly she was buried the following December.  She was the daughter of Thomas.

Thomas also had another daughter and son baptised at Westwell.

There were (slightly later at Westwell) eleven Gravets baptised to Jeremiah and Susan.

Also at Westwell there was also a solitary Gravet baptised to William and Ann in 1670.

Not much help, I am afraid.

Thomas Brett was Widower when he married Ann Gravett; his first wife was Martha Jones who he married on 28 August 1673 (by Licence) at St Margaret, Canterbury.  According to another transcription he was said to be aged 28 and a Yeoman of Westwell.

Tony

Hi Tony

Thanks for that info, especially the info about Thomas Brett's first marriage which I was not aware of. Have you seen the licence? If so does it give any name for the Bondsman or possible clue as to the name of his father or other family members?

Interestingly I've seen several various spellings of the name Gravett, including the obvious such as Gravet, Gravat, Grevett, Grevet, Grevatt, Grevate, Gravete, Gravitt, Gravott etc. However I've also seen some other variations (mostly in transcripts or badly written documents) such as Grabbet, Graffett, Gruett and Grauett. Sometimes there is one t in the name, sometime there are two - in some case I've seen records relating to the same person but spelt different each time. However I've not seen Grannett before. Maybe it is worth me checking one of these other spelling variations in Kent.

Many hanks again for this info.

Matt

Offline redtonyt

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 26 May 17 06:22 BST (UK) »
Neither Westwell nor Eastwell fall within the Deanery of Canterbury.  So, their Parish Records are not to be found on Find my Past; what you may find is the copy of an earlier transcription.  Find my Past has copied the filmed version of the Parish registers within the Canterbury Deanery.  Four of those Parishes have refused to allow its records to be published and, not all of the remaining have been transcribed!

I have checked the KFHS transcription of Eastwell Parish (from 1538) and there are no Brett or Gravet (ovt) entries to be found.  Westwell has only the Children of your Thomas being baptised. The only other record entry is for the baptism of a Susanna Brette to Gregory in 1619.  There are Gravets as previously mentioned.

Ann Brett died and was buried 11 December 1707 at Westwell.  Thomas appears to have died earlier in 1707 with an Inventory but, Ann left a Will dated and probated in 1707.  Could there be any clues therein?

Sorry, again not a lot of help but with elimination may save some time.

Tony

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 26 May 17 23:35 BST (UK) »
Neither Westwell nor Eastwell fall within the Deanery of Canterbury.  So, their Parish Records are not to be found on Find my Past; what you may find is the copy of an earlier transcription.  Find my Past has copied the filmed version of the Parish registers within the Canterbury Deanery.  Four of those Parishes have refused to allow its records to be published and, not all of the remaining have been transcribed!

I have checked the KFHS transcription of Eastwell Parish (from 1538) and there are no Brett or Gravet (ovt) entries to be found.  Westwell has only the Children of your Thomas being baptised. The only other record entry is for the baptism of a Susanna Brette to Gregory in 1619.  There are Gravets as previously mentioned.

Ann Brett died and was buried 11 December 1707 at Westwell.  Thomas appears to have died earlier in 1707 with an Inventory but, Ann left a Will dated and probated in 1707.  Could there be any clues therein?

Sorry, again not a lot of help but with elimination may save some time.

Tony

Hi Tony

Thanks for the added info. I have a copy of Ann Brett's will in which she names the following people:

"my daughter in law Mary the wife of Thomas Parson/Person of Westwell"

"my eldest daughter Anne the wife of Thomas Baldock of Westwell"

"my youngest daughter Eleanor Brett"

The will is dated 20 November 1707 and interestingly Anne named her youngest daughter Eleanor as her executrix.

It looks like the will was witnesses by Thomas Lurkosh, Judith Haywood, and John Marsh however I am not clear on the first witness.

Sadly the Will of Anne Brett's husband Thomas doesn't appear to have survived, however there is an inventory for him. Again I am hoping that that might provide some clues as well.

There definitely do not appear to be any other records relating to Ann Gravetts being christened in the parish nor any other records for Thomas that I have seen so far.

Matt