Author Topic: Who remembers Empire Day?  (Read 5582 times)

Offline Adrian Stevenson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Who remembers Empire Day?
« Reply #27 on: Monday 29 May 17 13:43 BST (UK) »
Here is the photo. Taken in Ruddington, Notinghamshire. My Great Uncle Sid Thompson is seated at the far left on the front row. Sid was born in Jan 1913 and was killed in 1944 serving with the RAF. Looking the dress and theme I guess this was taken circa 1918?

Cheers, Ade,
Stevensons of Ruddington. Haplogroup  I FCG24357. MT Haplogroup T2c1. GedMatch number T419829

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 29 May 17 17:06 BST (UK) »
Royal Oak Day today :)
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 30 May 17 08:44 BST (UK) »
Here is the photo. Taken in Ruddington, Notinghamshire. My Great Uncle Sid Thompson is seated at the far left on the front row. Sid was born in Jan 1913 and was killed in 1944 serving with the RAF. Looking the dress and theme I guess this was taken circa 1918?

Cheers, Ade,

Priceless! Thanks Ade
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 30 May 17 12:51 BST (UK) »
What a wonderful photo Ade ! The lovely costumes , that is a treasure of a photo. I'm so pleased to have seen that moment in time  ;D. Thankyou for posting it.

Offline Countryquine

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 31 May 17 00:41 BST (UK) »
May 24th .....my Dads birthday and Empire Day.Going to a small church school in Kew Surrey we would go to church in the morning and have the rest of the day off.We had our union jacks which we held with pride .My Dad being very patriotic stood up whenever he heard the National Anthem.This could even be at breakfast time if it was played on the radio for a royal birthday.Remember the anthem being played at the end of a theatre or cinema performance ....everyone stood up.
Ringrose

Before my time but it was also my Dad's birthday so I always knew it as Empire Day - apparently my uncle, who was seven years older than my Dad, and a very proper and well-behaved little boy (as opposed to his new baby brother who turned out to be a proper little rascal!) went round telling everyone that they had got an 'Empire Baby'.