Author Topic: Who remembers Empire Day?  (Read 5588 times)

Offline Scribble1952

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Who remembers Empire Day?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 24 May 17 23:46 BST (UK) »
Ringrose

Empire Day
Thank-you for your post
I am sure this day was celebrated by my Family

And we always stood up for the National Anthem anywhere it was played and we felt proud as children and we still do as Adults.😁

Online Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 24 May 17 23:46 BST (UK) »
Written by my cousin, Marjorie Dunkinson, as a school girl in 1937 about Empire Day.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/60455214?searchTerm=Dunkinson&searchLimits=l-state=Victoria|||l-title=143

James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531

Offline sleepybarb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 25 May 17 18:06 BST (UK) »
My Mums birthday, I have badges she was given.
Barb
Briscoe-Midlands-Birmingham and Worcs.
Bragg-Birmingham.
Rayworth-Birmingham
Piper and Bevan Worcs and Herefordshire
Taylor -Birmingham

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 27 May 17 11:31 BST (UK) »
I have just read through the other thread, and made a post there saying:
I was at a primary school in N.W. London during the late 50's, and I can remember half day holidays for Empire Day after much flag waving. I can also dimly remember buying pink silk (?) Alexandra roses for charity."

Although I used to feel rather silly being one of the few that stood up when the National Anthem was played, I did it, because my parents instilled it into me. 
These days I have to admit, I am furious that rugby players have to sing the Queen's song, while other nations have really inspiring patriotic songs about their countries. [e.g. Flower of Scotland.] 
I feel very strongly, the country of England needs a new PATRIOTIC anthem, about the country.  Something similar to "Land of Hope & Glory", perhaps, rather than "God Save The Queen", though I am happy to sing that, for her, on her birthdays and anniversaries.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline James18

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 27 May 17 13:08 BST (UK) »
Just noticed this thread title and thought this might be of interest. Wonder if it looks familiar to Ringrose?

My great-grandfather's:

Eighteen -- Hadleigh, Suffolk; Reading, Berkshire
Hendry -- Ballymena, Antrim; Glasgow, Lanarkshire
Wylie -- Ballymena, Antrim; Glasgow, Lanarkshire

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 27 May 17 13:36 BST (UK) »
Such an attractive certificate.

Have you any idea what kind of aid to comfort and contentment was provided to gain this recognition?
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 27 May 17 14:21 BST (UK) »
I remember standing for the anthem and I remember Empire Day being on the calendar. What I don't know though is when did we stop celebrating it . Does anybody know please ?
Mowse I agree we have the worst ever Rugby anthem  ;D ;D ;D
James what a treasure to have ! Do you have it on display ?

Offline Jolee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 27 May 17 14:39 BST (UK) »
On the last day at school before Empire day we had a parade, children dressed in the national costumes of the empire, well as close to them as it could be got, and proudly marched around the school hall in front of our parents, lots of flag waving and the national anthem sung with great gusto.
We could do with this sense of pride now

Offline cati

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm the one in the middle...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 27 May 17 14:42 BST (UK) »
Children were encouraged to give part of their pocket money to help provide comforts such as chocolate, tobacco or knitted items (scarves, socks or balaclavas).

The name 'Empire Day' was changed to 'Commonwealth Day' in 1958: in 1976 the date was changed to the second Monday in March.
Bagot, Bate, Dominy,  Cox, Frost, Griffiths, Eccleston(e), Godrich, Griffiths, Hartland/Hartlin, Westwood, Spicer, Peake, Pass, Perry, Nuttle, Warrender

Catch the Blog at http://familytreeblogs.com/kate