Author Topic: Tracing Louisa!  (Read 635 times)

Offline Earlsdau

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tracing Louisa!
« on: Thursday 25 May 17 11:49 BST (UK) »
Hello All,

Having trouble tracking back further on the parents of someone I posted a question about a few weeks ago.

A William CHAMBERS and Louisa BEDWITH were married in Parish of St. Dunstans, Stepney on 21st May 1827. Apart from two sons, one William, baptised in May 1828 and another, Edward born circa 1830 and baptised Aug 1831 I don't have many other clues.

From what I can see it looks as though (if I have the correct connection) that by the time Edward was baptised (1831) the family may have been in the St. Botolph without Bishopsgate workhouse. Again when Edward was buried in 1832 the family were still in the workhouse. From there the trail goes relatively cold.

I cannot find the family (singly or together) in the 1841 census, either in Middlesex or elsewhere in England. I have tried a number of spellings and other variations. Some William CHAMBERS are locatable but none with a Louisa and only one or two with a young son William whom I am fairly satisfied are not them.

Around 1848 I have an emigration record for son William (aged 20). So he was not in the UK at the time of the 1851 census.

In regard to the father, in 1851 there is a William CHAMBERS, aged 41(?), a widower, born in Bishopsgate and a Silk Weaver (which we know him to be from his son's baptism records). He was living in Grey Eagle Street, Christ Church, Tower Hamlets. He is a likely contender but no solid basis for believing him to be the correct W.C.

I can find no parish records for the death of Louisa (from 1830) nor GRO events after 1837 (or at least between 1837 and 1851).

Surprisingly I believe I have a baptism of her on 28th Feb 1808 in Spitalfields, where she is one of ‘Trinns' (triplets).

Where is likely to be my best source for this information? Is there any central repository of Middlesex parish records? Surely there would be at least a parish death record for Louisa CHAMBERS, even if she was desperately poor in the East End of London at that time.

Many thanks!

Offline Tsu

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Ellen Rondeau 1885-1960
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing Louisa!
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 May 17 15:03 BST (UK) »
There's a death for a Louisa Chambers in Westminster, London in Q1 1869 age 60.

Could this be her?
East London:
Happe/Hoppe (St. Georges in the East)
Stanley (middle name Thurston)
Rondeau (Spitalfields and Salford)
Jones (Bishopsgate - Thomas, Ostrich Feather Manufacturer)
Wood (London City)
McDermott (Londonderry and Stepney)
Upcraft (Bethnal Green)
Chidgey (Shoredtich)
Grim (Bethnal Green)
Row (Mast makers in Wapping)
Spurden (Stepney and Pancras)
Glibbery (Bishopsgate)

Offline Earlsdau

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing Louisa!
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 May 17 14:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you Tsu. I guess she fits the age and the general area. I need to investigate where this L.C. has been for the previous thirty years.