Author Topic: ROGAN FARNING  (Read 2000 times)

Offline Possum26

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
ROGAN FARNING
« on: Thursday 25 May 17 13:56 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me I'm going nuts trying to find the parents of
John ROGAN b 1784 Liverpool? and Susannah Farning I don't have a birth date for her
but she did marry a John Brookshaw in Manchester [I think] I can find where they died [AUSTRALIA] but i cannot find anywhere their parents which they must have had a least one John died in 1830 and Susannah in 1853 they married in Sydney in 1812 [they were convicts] any help greatly received

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: ROGAN FARNING
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 May 17 14:42 BST (UK) »
cannot find anywhere their parents which they must have had a least one

I would say definitely two each.

Just to clarify Susannah was first married to John Rogan then married John Brookshaw? 
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 May 17 14:45 BST (UK) »
Do you have all available convict records for both? Sometimes parents are named in some records depending on age of convict. The records should at least hold clues as to their places of origin or where they committed their crimes.

Added: Milliepede, the way I read it is that "Farning" is Susannah's maiden name. She (may have) married John Brookshaw in Manchester, she was then transported to Australia where she married John Rogan in 1812.  :-\ I don't know if I have that right though.

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 May 17 14:56 BST (UK) »
There is a John Rogan arriving in 1806 on the Fortune And Alexander

There is a Susannah Brookshaw arriving in 1812 on the Indefatigable, Minstral

Presumably you already have these? I don't have a World Subscription to FindMyPast so am unable to check the details.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 May 17 15:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ruskie I think you have it the right way round!
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 May 17 15:30 BST (UK) »
For those trying to help;

MARRIAGE;
Susanna FARNING to John BROOKSHAW
30 April 1810, Cathedral, Manchester, Lancashire, England

1828 Castle Hill Census has Susannah Rogan as age 48 (birth c 1780), John as age 45 (1783)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 May 17 15:48 BST (UK) »
According to the criminal registers, Susannah was sentenced to death for larcency. They must have changed their minds?  :)

There seem to be many mentions of her in various criminal/convict documents. I am assuming that you already have all of this Possum?

Offline Possum26

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 26 May 17 00:49 BST (UK) »
thankyou everyone yes i do have some of the records but there are no parents this is the only information i have on both of them
JOHN ROGAN was born in about 1782 at Liverpool, Lancashire, England.   He was tried at the Liverpool Epiphany Sessions  and transported for seven years to NSW.   He sailed in the ‘Fortune’ on 21 January 1805 and arrived at Sydney on 12 July 1805.   
SUSANNAH FARNING (or Farnon) was born in about the year 1780 either in Liverpool or in Manchester, Lancashire.     She married John Brookshaw on Monday, 30th April 1810 Manchester, Lancashire. 
Barely four months after her marriage she was in trouble with the law.   At Susannah's trial, John Brookshaw was described as "late of Liverpool".   She was found guilty and sentenced to be hanged but was later reprieved on condition she was transported for seven years to New South Wales.  She was charged with stealing a sum of money and goods from Jane Coleburn, tried at Liverpool Court and was sentenced to transportation to the colony of New South Wales for seven years.  She would then have been sent either to Newgate or to one of the hulks on the Thames.  She sailed on the ’Minstrel’ on 4 June 1812 and arrived at Sydney on 25 October 1812.

this is why i am asking how do i find their parents they must have been dead when they werer both tried and yes i do agree its take two but i thought maybe illagement??? just guesswork on my part
any ideas thankyou for all the help

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 26 May 17 05:24 BST (UK) »
Possum, have you viewed the parish register of the Brookshaw Farning marriage? Any clues in the witnesses names?