Author Topic: ROGAN FARNING  (Read 2002 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ROGAN FARNING
« Reply #9 on: Friday 26 May 17 05:54 BST (UK) »
Thinking about your mention of Farnon rather than Farning .... I looked up the 1841 and 1851 English census and there are no people with the surname Farning (except one in the 1851 but the original image is not Farning). It seems that you will need to broaden the search to include alternative surnames. My first thought was, should this be Fanning?  :-\

What is Susannah's surname when she marries John Brookshaw? When she marries John Rogan is her maiden name given?

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 26 May 17 09:12 BST (UK) »
From a scan of the marriage entry on ancestry
John Rogan widower occupation carpenter married Susan Brookshaw spinster (she fibbed)
witnesses were Edward Carney and Rebecca Carney
all made their marks.

So John has another wife somewhere.

Others researching in Australia think John Rogan was Irish.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 26 May 17 09:19 BST (UK) »
That's interesting amondg.

I suspected an Irish connection too, though just a "hunch" with no proof of this as yet. I also wondered if Rogan might = Regan. Another Irish surname, though Rogan does appear as a surname in the censuses. The Liverpool / Lancashire origins also made me wonder if their families came from Ireland.

:)

Offline Possum26

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 26 May 17 13:06 BST (UK) »
the only witness to the marriage of John Brookshaw [Tailor] and Susanna Farning [its def. Farning] was Robt McGile

John Rogan being Irish is news to me goes to show I could be looking in the wrong place
Brookshaw marriage license says Susanna was from Manchester but could not r or w

I just noticed something 4 months after her marriage to John he was described as 'late of Liverpool' had he died within those 4 months never saw that before

thankyou for all the imput interested to find others who are tracing this man

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 26 May 17 15:15 BST (UK) »
What document described John as "late of Liverpool"? Was it in relation to her criminal trial? I think that this would mean that he used to live in Liverpool rather than being deceased.

Re: the surname "Farning", I am wondering if this is a mistranscription or error in interpretation of the surname as spoken by Susannah. Perhaps she had an accent?

Can you tell us the exact wording for Brookshaw Farning marriage? Earlier you said an alternative surname was Farnon - on what document did Farnon appear?

It is odd that there are no people with the surname Farning in the 1841 and 1851 census. (I have not checked bmds or other censuses).

Added: My "Irish" theory was just an passing thought based on the surnames. I don't know the reasons behind those amondg mentions for believing this, but it would be good to find out. :)

Offline Possum26

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 27 May 17 03:15 BST (UK) »
Yes, yes you sound correct as in late of Liverpool not death its in the criminal records
I too was wondering if the surname was miss spelt due to an accent
i have tired to attach the brookshaw mariage cert for you
Farnon was in a letter I have about the Fuller family they mentioned the trials of both of them

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 27 May 17 05:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that certificate Possum.

Gee, that surname is not clear at all is it?  :-\ Farning/Farnon - sound similar so easy to understand how variations crept in.

I'm not sure what to suggest which could help in the search ....  There are no parents named on John and Susanna's death certificates I suppose?

I am wondering if this thread may be better moved to the Lancashire board in the hope that some experts might know where to look for some possible births .....  :-\

Added: do you know if the banns have survived?

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 27 May 17 06:03 BST (UK) »
Lancashire Banns and Marriages 1754 - 1936 record the marriage on April 30th 1810.
The index records Susanna's surname as Farney, but the original clearly says Farnay.

I can't see the banns though, but someone may be able to locate them if they survive.

There are quite a few Farneys on the 1841 census, so it is a "proper" surname.

Offline Possum26

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 27 May 17 14:48 BST (UK) »
thankyou so much for all y our help Ruskie how do i move it to the other board you mentioned no parents on death certs im afraid  :(