Author Topic: Robert Mackechnie, died in Vancouver in 1923  (Read 795 times)

Offline dan55107

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert Mackechnie, died in Vancouver in 1923
« on: Thursday 25 May 17 16:13 BST (UK) »
Registration Number:   1923-09-315376
BCA Number:   B13122
GSU Number:   1927299

I'm particularly interested in whether he was married to Alma (last name could be Chatt or Brown or Earnest or something else).  Alma was born in Jackson County, Wisconsin in 1883, and married Robert J MacKichnie (sp?), in Minneapolis, Minnesota in 1912.

Alma's step-sister Anna Chatt married a man who went into the fur trade near Vancouver, so I want to explore the possibility that they both ended up out near Vancouver.  But tracking Robert J MacKechnie has proven very elusive. 

Anyway, I'm grateful for any help that anyone might be able to give regarding Robert MacKechnie and his wife Alma, who may have moved to Canada sometime after 1912.  Of course, it could be a wild goose chase.  Thanks for your help.

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Mackechnie, died in Vancouver in 1923
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 May 17 18:37 BST (UK) »
marriage record is under the surname Baumgart for Alma.  Robert J shows he was born in Canada about 1879 and was a resident of Alberta at time of marriage.
On 1911 Canadian census Medicine Hat there is a Robert James Mckechnie born Aug 1878 Ontario single.
On 1916 Canadian Prairie census in Bassano, Alberta is a married Robert McKachnie, 36, Scottish heritage, born Canada, working in lumber industry.  Wife not wife him.

Suspect the Robert who died in Vancouver in 1923 might have been Robert E., born 1862 Scotland.  He is on the 1921 Canadian census, Point Gray, Vancouver with wife Helen A., occupation surgeon.

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 May 17 18:44 BST (UK) »
https://familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&query=%2Bgivenname%3Arobert~%20%2Bsurname%3Amackechnie~%20%2Bresidence_place%3A%22british%20columbia%2C%20canada%22~

The one who died in Vancouver did have a birth year close to your Robert but this shows his birthplace as Scotland not Canada

Offline dan55107

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 May 17 21:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your quick reply.  Alma married Ezra Baumgart in Jackson County, Wisconsin, in 1907, before moving to Minneapolis.  They must have divorced, though I do not have that information.  I did not have the information from the marriage record regarding Robert being from Alberta, Canada, so that's helpful.  I did find a city directory record from Minneapolis for Mrs. Alma Mackechnie in 1934, but nothing for Robert, so I don't know if it's the same person.

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 May 17 21:39 BST (UK) »
Cosmac,
                I looked at the link you gave in your post, and Robert S McKechnie's parents are given as Donald McKechnie & Elizabeth Sutherland in Scotland.       Still wondering if Robert was born in Scotland,  I found this family on the 1901 Census in Scotland.

1901 Census    5 Forth St, Edinburgh.
Donald McKechnie, 64, Retired wholesale Grocer, b Jura, Argyllshire
Elizabeth               61, b Edinburgh
George S               20, Lawyer's Clerk, b Edinburgh
Robert S.               22, Iron Merchant's Clerk, b Edinburgh.

Then, on the Canada Passenger Lists 1865 - 1935, there is...
R.S. McKechnie, voyaging to Victoria B.C. Canada, and this looks like Robert S. McKechnie above.
....I don't have the subscription that allows me to see the full details on Ancestry, but he was going to Victoria B.C.       I don't have the date of the voyage but when I did the search, I typed the voyage dates as being 1911 + or - 10 years.