Author Topic: Suggestions for mother's unusual name please  (Read 3723 times)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions for mother's unusual name please
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 27 May 17 13:16 BST (UK) »
Do you know -- I was pouring through the on line papers last night - I did find lots of articles about Robert Railton (the son) - and Robert Railton senior's death.

This company had a Foundry in Blackburn.

I am actually doing this for a friend - (I'm not a professional - just do them for friends and because I'm obsessed with family history).
The James (son of Robert senior) - and his line is quite tragic. He marries twice - has 3 children with each of his wives and 2 children of each wife then die young. He then dies in 1846.

His son Henry was a surviving child - he and his wife both die quite young - and THEIR daughter - my friend's grandmother was brought up by her mother's parents.

My friend - a chap who LOVES history knew about the Foundry - but I don't think he knows about the Yorkshire connection or about all the sad deaths.

It is an interesting family for sure - there is a Herbert Railton who is on Wikipedia - he MAY be connected sideways - ie descended from a brother of Robert maybe. He was apparantly a famous Illustrator and artist (I'd never heard of him!).

So after I have sorted out Robert - found his siblings - I'll be able to work forwards and find out if this Herbert (I've found him on census records) - is a 'sideways' connection.

Because of all the entries in the newspapers -- do you know if there is anyway of copying just the article please? I was thinking of putting this query on the 'Technical' Board -- as I don't know how to do it and was laboriously copying a couple out last night to type up.

Again -- many thanks for finding Osyth's probable death - I hadn't found that one.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 27 May 17 14:05 BST (UK) »
Afraid that I do not know how to copy just the article. I wish I did as I have loads of full page saved PDFs! There must be a way of doing it as plenty of snippets appear on other threads.Perhaps JenB can ride to the rescue.

If you do find out how to do it please let me know!

William

Ps Re Herbert having had a quick look on Ancestry I think he might be the grandson of Robert (1787- 1860) and therefore the great grandson of Robert and Osyth. One of Herbert's brothers Frederick Michael seems to have gone on the run for embezzlement and so might be worth checking out!
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Online JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 27 May 17 14:28 BST (UK) »
You could use the Microsoft snipping tool http://www.rootschat.com/links/01k5t/ having snipped the item you want you can then save it, or click on 'edit' to copy it and then paste it into a document. Doing the latter you can paste several snips onto one page.

Search 'snipping tool' on Rootschat and you'll get lots of useful advice  :)

In the past I've often done a screen capture (use the 'print screen' key top right on your keyboard), then paste it into a free programme such as Irfanview where you can straighten and crop it to your hearts content.

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 27 May 17 14:41 BST (UK) »
Done with the snipping tool  :)

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 27 May 17 16:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks,Jen! I will give it a go!

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 27 May 17 17:37 BST (UK) »
And so will I (give it a go) - it has long been a real frustration --but I'll have to see if my one technical brain cell can understand it!

Thank you Jen -- and William yet again.

(William - please let us know if you manage it - I'm not going to tackle it quite yet until I've achieved more with this family, as I don't want to frustrate myself by NOT being able to do it).
Places of interest;

Online JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 27 May 17 17:39 BST (UK) »
Please believe me when I say that if I can do it anyone can  :-X

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 27 May 17 17:44 BST (UK) »
Jen -- not necessarily!! You are just being being nice. Yes I will 'grasp the nettle' and have a go (at some point).

Regards

June
Places of interest;

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 27 May 17 18:01 BST (UK) »
I have indeed managed it! The process is actually straightforward. I will however need to keep practising as my technique for highlighting the area to copy is poor (I have never been that good with the touch pad on my laptop!). I have nonetheless saved a couple of snips from my large batch of PDFs and can see I am going to be busy for a while. (The second one I even managed to enlarge enough to print it off!). So again my thanks to Jen.

Re Frederick Michael Railton he seems to have been caught and given seven years. He was in Portland Prison in 1881.There are some very detailed prison records, including his mugshot, on FindMyPast.

William