Author Topic: Suggestions for mother's unusual name please  (Read 3745 times)

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions for mother's unusual name please
« Reply #9 on: Friday 26 May 17 14:52 BST (UK) »
Just to say that  St Peter and St Paul, Ribchester is an RC Church.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Online JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 26 May 17 15:31 BST (UK) »
There is a 1794 baptism at Brough Hall RC Catterick, Yorkshire, Rebecca Railton, parents Robert and Osyth http://www.rootschat.com/links/01k5i/
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 26 May 17 15:42 BST (UK) »
And the actual image states Rebecca Railton daughter of Robert and Osyth Railton of Brumpton ( the same abode as on the baptism of Osyth Smith noted earlier).

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 26 May 17 16:04 BST (UK) »
I haven't looked at the link yet - BUT at one of the baptisms of a grandchild of Robert Railton - (at St Albans Blackburn -- also RC) --- the godmother is a Rebecca Railton!

(The child being baptised is the brother of the 'Osyth' Railton who I mentioned in an earlier post. (Sadly both these little ones do not survive - although another son does, creating the Railton line I am researching.)

It is definitely looking like this particular father (James Railton) -- is a son of Robert Railton and Syth Smith --- and that the family have moved from Yorkshire - to Ribchester - then to Blackburn.

Luckily James Railton re-married in 1841, so I have already ordered that marriage certificate just to confirm his father's name for sure.

William - you mentioned the Ribchester RC records being amongst the non-conformist dataset on Ancestry. Thankfully St Albans, Blackburn (also RC) -- are in that dataset also. How lucky is that. Normally RC Parish registers are a bit like gold dust.

JenB -- I am about to check the link you have kindly provided. The rate this is going --- you will all have completed this tree for me! So helpful all of you.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 26 May 17 16:34 BST (UK) »
Just to clarify it was the Catterick RC records which I found in the Nonconformist data set (also worth looking at Yorkshire Baptisms on FindMyPast). I established that St Peter and St Paul,Ribchester is an RC Church from Genuki - I have not found any images for this church as yet although presumably when the Catholic records on FindMyPast are extended to include the north of England they should be available.

William

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 26 May 17 17:07 BST (UK) »
I note the marriage banns in Easby 29 June, 6 July and 13 July 1756 for Ralph Smith,of this parish and Elizabeth Meynell of the parish of Crathorn - they were married in Crathorn(e) 10 Aug 1755.

Baptism for an Eliz. Meynell 16 Sept 1733 in Crathorne - father George Meynell,farmer.

(Also wonder if the Brumpton mentioned earlier is actually Brompton on Swale which is in the parish of Easby).

William

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 26 May 17 20:25 BST (UK) »
hi William -- sorry I misunderstood you regarding the Ribchester/Yorkshire RC records - thank you for putting me straight.

I will keep the very useful nformation you have found to one side for future reference at the moment, as I am still sorting out - (or trying to sort out!), the children of Robert and Osyth (or variant) -- and also trying to find Robert and Osyth's deaths before I go further back.
Robert looks like he might still be alive in 1841 (aged about 75 rounded down) in Blackburn but Osyth must have died. This Robert not born in County, so looks hopeful. Dies, purportedly aged 81 in 1844.

If it's the correct Robert and age at death is right -- he was born about 1763 -- so may have still been 20 when he married Syth Smith as a minor in 1784.

Syth must have died pre July 1837. Again -- huge appreciation for your very helpful sleuthing!
I would have still been struggling with this one had I not posted the query about the unusual name and received so much additional help.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 27 May 17 12:10 BST (UK) »
Out of interest I did a speculative search on the newspaper archive for Railtons in Blackburn and found the following deaths.

Blackburn Standard 2 March 1836 " On the 19th ult,after a long and severe illness,Mrs ? Railton,wife of Mr Robert Railton,  sen, machine maker, of the firm of Messrs Robert Railton,Sons and Co.,Union Foundry, Salford.
(Have put a ? against her first name as there is a bend in the paper but the more I have looked at it I think it says Osith).

Preston Chronicle 7 April 1838 " Same day (saturday last) Elizabeth, wife of James Railton, Cleaver Street, Blackburn, aged 24 years.

Preston Chronicle 7 Dec 1844 " Yesterday week in his 82nd year, Mr Robert Railton, engineer, Blackburn".

There are further articles in the Blackburn Standard 11 June 1856 and 8 April 1857 which refer to the inventions of Robert Railton in improving cotton spinning machinery. These articles, and others, would also suggest that the Robert Railton showing in the 1841 and 1851 census born 1787 was his son. (The 1851 census gives his place of birth as Brunton on Swale, Yorkshire - he died 1860 and there are letters of administration for him). I also suspect that there was another son Ralph born in Yorkshire(an account of his death is in the Lancaster Gazette 23 Feb 1828).

There is also a piece in Perry's Bankrupt Gazette regarding the dissolution of a partnership ( a James Railton is referred to) which is worth a look.

If the marriage cert you have sent for does indeed show that Robert Railton was James's father you really do have a most interesting family in terms of our industrial heritage.

William

Online JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 27 May 17 12:17 BST (UK) »
I've just taken a look at that 1836 death notice, and I'm pretty sure it says Osith.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk