Author Topic: Help finding a burial plot in Southern Necropolis?  (Read 6223 times)

Offline mjanich

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help finding a burial plot in Southern Necropolis?
« on: Thursday 25 May 17 21:38 BST (UK) »
I posted here before, but maybe someone could help me out?

I'm going to Glasgow on Sunday and want to find my 4x GGF's (George Murdison, died January 17, 1859 in Glasgow) headstone (which may or may not even be standing). I know I need to locate his headstone by going to the Glasgow City Archives. I know he is buried in Southern Necropolis. I don't think I will have time to go to the archives myself as I only have a few short days there, so I thought maybe someone could help me out?

I have emailed Southern Necropolis with no response and have also emailed the archives, but they told me it would be an 8-10 week wait.

Is anyone willing to help me? Thank you in advance.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help finding a burial plot in Southern Necropolis?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 May 17 10:54 BST (UK) »
mj,  try this site for a headstone,        http://www.memento-mori.co.uk   

Skoosh.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 May 17 11:52 BST (UK) »
EDIT: In this post I may have got confused between the Necropolis and the Southern Necropolis. The next post may give more accurate information.
-----------------------
Original post:

The Glasgow & West of Scotland FHS have transcribed and photographed the memorials in the Southern Necropolis. More on the project at http://www.gwsfhs.org.uk/content/glasgownecropolisproject.aspx and details of the DVD at http://www.gwsfhs.org.uk/content/publications.aspx - item no. G0047

From the description, this appears to be a transcription of just the memorials, so if the memorial has gone, or never existed, your ancestor wouldn't be included. Some societies offer look-up services to members (and sometimes non-members for a fee), so it might be worth exploring the site to see if there's anything that would help.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline greenrig

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Father, 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 May 17 12:24 BST (UK) »
I think the referenced GWSFHS site is for the GLASGOW NECROPOLIS, and not the SOUTHERN NECROPOLIS.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

As mjanich probalby knows, the best source of the informatiion he seeks is via http://www.southernnecropolis.co.uk/ -- but it seems to be supported by a single volunteer enthusiast, and there's probably insufficient time.

The Glasgow Archives is at :
Nerys Tunnicliffe| Archivist | Glasgow Life
Glasgow City Archives | Mitchell Library |
North Street | Glasgow | G3 7DN
Tel: 0141 287 2910 | Fax: 0141 226 8452
E: archives@glasgowlife.org.uk 

.... this is the official route, and WILL deliver the result, but there is a long backlog. You need to expect a 8-10 week response (and a search fee).
NEILSON - Erskine/Bishopton, Renfrewshire and Glasgow
BROWN - Hamilton, Lanarkshire
CAIRNS - Hamilton, Lanarkshire
FINDLAY - Kirriemuir area, Forfarshire/Angus
PORTER - Tobermore, Derry, Ireland

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 May 17 14:12 BST (UK) »
I think the referenced GWSFHS site is for the GLASGOW NECROPOLIS, and not the SOUTHERN NECROPOLIS.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

You may be right - I'll add a warning to my earlier post. Apologies if I turn out to have misled anyone.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mjanich

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 26 May 17 22:47 BST (UK) »

As mjanich probalby knows, the best source of the informatiion he seeks is via http://www.southernnecropolis.co.uk/ -- but it seems to be supported by a single volunteer enthusiast, and there's probably insufficient time.

The Glasgow Archives is at :
Nerys Tunnicliffe| Archivist | Glasgow Life
Glasgow City Archives | Mitchell Library |
North Street | Glasgow | G3 7DN
Tel: 0141 287 2910 | Fax: 0141 226 8452
E: archives@glasgowlife.org.uk 

.... this is the official route, and WILL deliver the result, but there is a long backlog. You need to expect a 8-10 week response (and a search fee).

Yeah, I've emailed the person for Southern Necropolis a couple weeks ago with no response. I've also contacted the archives, but like you said, they told me 8-10 weeks. I suppose that I will have to go myself to the archives. I have very limited time in Glasgow, so I was hoping to avoid it, but oh well! Thanks for you help  :)

Offline mjanich

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 26 May 17 22:48 BST (UK) »

You may be right - I'll add a warning to my earlier post. Apologies if I turn out to have misled anyone.

No worries. Thanks for your help!

Offline mjanich

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 26 May 17 22:49 BST (UK) »
EDIT: In this post I may have got confused between the Necropolis and the Southern Necropolis. The next post may give more accurate information.
-----------------------
Original post:

The Glasgow & West of Scotland FHS have transcribed and photographed the memorials in the Southern Necropolis. More on the project at http://www.gwsfhs.org.uk/content/glasgownecropolisproject.aspx and details of the DVD at http://www.gwsfhs.org.uk/content/publications.aspx - item no. G0047

From the description, this appears to be a transcription of just the memorials, so if the memorial has gone, or never existed, your ancestor wouldn't be included. Some societies offer look-up services to members (and sometimes non-members for a fee), so it might be worth exploring the site to see if there's anything that would help.

Actually, they have finished the project of digitising the Southern Necropolis records too (I had emailed the archives), but they aren't online yet unfortunately.

Offline Scott_M

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 20 August 17 04:42 BST (UK) »
I recently tracked down a relative of mine laid to rest in the Southern Necropolis ..and Sighthill Cemetery in Springburn.. I used the Mitchell library where an Archivist assisted to get all my info required.. This took a few months with a backlog but there was success with good information passed on.. Given my location in NZ I was grateful for this assistance ... I contacted a gentleman at the Linn  Cemetery / Crem and this gentleman with the details I had passed to him met me at the Southern Necropolis .. He had been there prior with the details I had offered to do his homework.. He took me to the spot and this was 100% correct.. This gentleman then drove to Sighthill Cemetery with me and applied the same service taking me to the spot and proving 100% .. What amazing service .. I would never have been able to do all that on my own with the time I had available .. All be it I didnt need to do what I done.. I gave him a few pounds to buy a few pints on me .. I was very grateful for this service... I am interested in when the digitised info comes on line as I have a lot more family history in this very Large Cemetery ...
All the best
Scott Morland
Auckland
New Zealand