Author Topic: Help finding a burial plot in Southern Necropolis?  (Read 6225 times)

Offline colmac64

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help finding a burial plot in Southern Necropolis?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 20 October 17 12:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Scott, How are You?
Just registered with Roots Chat and great to see lots of enquiries etc relating to the Southern Necropolis, and that you have some ancestral links to the cemetery. Really pleased that you got a good result from your visit from the gentleman from the Linn...was it Robert by any chance?

I am a member of the Friends of Southern Necropolis and have had a passion for the cemetery for nearly 30 years, was also married in the cemetery 2 years ago. If there is any way that I can help you in the future, then feel free to get in touch with me. Colin. Oh and I have relations over in New Zealand at Christchurch :)

Offline lochlann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 09 July 18 14:46 BST (UK) »
Hello.....
I am retired, living in Kentucky, U.S., and have become the finder of family information, it appears. My g.g.grandparents were buried in Glasgow Southern Necropolis, Western Section, according to another family member I had contacted in Scotland. They were buried in a lair with another/others, and I have no idea of the number. Now that younger family members are traveling to Scotland these days, I would like to find the lair # for them. Also wondering just what info might be on these registers in terms of place of birth, for instance. The folks I am looking for are James McArthur, d. 1 Jun 1866, and his wife, Annabella (McGilvray) McArthur (listed as Annie B. McArthur, I'm told), d. 3 May, 1878. I have lost contact with the family member there, and can't find him now to pursue this. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Munro-Aberdeenshire, Banff. Stewart-Aberdeenshire. McArthur, McGilvray, McInnes, McTaggart, Currie-Islay/Argyll.

Offline colmac64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 14:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Lochlann
I have had a look through the burial records and have located the notes for your ancestors grave etc. Will get back to you asap with the details :) Colin. (Friends of Southern Necropolis).

Offline lochlann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 21:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for your prompt reply, Colin.....this is long awaited.
Munro-Aberdeenshire, Banff. Stewart-Aberdeenshire. McArthur, McGilvray, McInnes, McTaggart, Currie-Islay/Argyll.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 22:24 BST (UK) »
Colmac64, are you willing to look for another lair there?

I have an inscription from a stone in the Southern Necropolis to William McConnell (1815-1905) and his wife Isabella Aitkenhead (1821-1902) and sundry other members of their family.

However I don't have a note of where I found their sons Hugh and Robert, who, if they are not a figment of my imagination, must have died in infancy or early childhood between 1850 and 1854. Is it possible that they were buried in the Southern Necropolis too?

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 23:09 BST (UK) »
There are burial registers for the Southern Necropolis online (FamilySearch)
William McConnell, 9 September 1905
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSRF-VSKH-G?i=734&cat=1322281

Isabella, 9 December 1902
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSRF-VSK7-L?i=693&cat=1322281

They seem to be in 101, £9 "Lairs on the Wall". Central Division?
Anyway, they have records of lair owners with dates of interment
So 101, Wall, is here
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CS5Q-V37F-3?i=856&cat=1322281

It has another occupant buried 24 October 1906. Should be on the same film as the two McConnells above.
John

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 23:27 BST (UK) »
Thank you, jonw65. I have that information, and the 1906 burial is their son John.

What I want to know is where (or indeed whether!) I saw burials of their infant/child sons Hugh and Robert in the early 1850s.

I would also be interested in the death/burial of John's wife Margaret Agnes (Madge) Montgomerie, which I have as yet been unable to find.

I will look again at the information on FS.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline olduser1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 16 July 18 11:35 BST (UK) »
Anyone able to confirm if the Family Search records include the SN Western section lairs?

Online jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 16 July 18 20:50 BST (UK) »
Hi
This is what I found on there, not sure if there is any more
https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/1322281?availability=Family%20History%20Library

John