Author Topic: Broadband  (Read 1207 times)

Offline Jean Price

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Broadband
« on: Friday 26 May 17 08:33 BST (UK) »
Help please,
We now have broadband, so everything is quicker - well, perhaps.
But, every few days I can not get on to the internet and get error messages of all sorts. I shut everything down, climb under the desk and turn everything off, go away and swear, come back and start everything again.
What am I doing to get this happening? I thought broadband was supposed to make life even simpler.
Thank you,
Jean
Fawcett, Down; Gibson, Ayrshire and Tasmania; James, Cornwall and Victoria Aus; Cox, Northamptonshire, Thomas, Gloucestershire; Albury, Berkshire,

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
Re: Broadband
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 May 17 08:48 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I have no clues for you Jean, don't know much about it!  But if I were in your position I would phone or email your service provider.

Also, if you are on Facebook, and your service Provider is Spark, you can post a message on there.

I tried that once, after getting sick of being on hold when I was phoning.  It it was answered almost instantly.

Some Rootchatters with more savvy about these things will come along soon, I'm sure!

Good luck, and I hope you get it sorted soon.
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Online spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 May 17 08:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Jean,

I occasionally have the same problem, but my PC is connected via WiFi modem. Sometimes I have to ring my provider and they need to 'reset the modem'.

But if your PC is connected via cable you're probably experienced a different issue. Jaybelnz'z suggestion to contact your provider is the best solution.

Spades
ELLERKER - Beverley ERY ENG
HEALEY - IRL?
MURDOCH - Wigtownshire SCT, Otago and Westland NZ
PALING - Nottinghamshire ENG
RILEY - Flamborough; Cottingham; South Dalton ERY, Manitoba CAN, & London ENG
STURTON - Arnold, Nottinghamshire ENG
SUTTRON - All, NRY & DUR ENG
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG
TERNAN/TIERNAN - Dublin IRL

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 May 17 09:13 BST (UK) »
The days before we went to Satellite (wireless as we live rurally), I was forever ringing my ISP, with connection problems, they were helpful in talking me through the set up checks to get the connection up and running.

I agree, contact your ISP, there could just be a small little glich somewhere, e.g. faulty cable/modem. 

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Canterburynorth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 May 17 09:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Jean,

There has been lots of problems in our area with spark in the last couple of weeks, the internet is dropping out frequently so it could be that is the problem, it's very frustrating!
Good luck
FORD family,     Devon England, Amberley  New Zealand

KIDD family,      Keith Bannfshire, Scotland

DOODY family   County Clare, Ireland- Canterbury  NZ.

ALEXANDER GRANT & JANET JAMIESON,  BANFF SCOTLAND

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 26 May 17 11:07 BST (UK) »
Hello.

If you don't know how, GOOGLE how to "Print Screen / Sys Rq" key capture an image of the error advisory on your type of computer or key board. [On my key board it is in the top right line up of keys.] And then can be transported and processed in a similar way to copy and pasting.

Paste into a photo processing programme like "PAINT" or any other that will accept the image and save as a jpg image. Or paste into a word or notebook programme.

That saved image can then be added to a request for help on the technical advise forum. People with similar equipment to you will then be in a better position to offer assistance.

Alan
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Offline Jean Price

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 June 17 01:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone,

I read your responses and thought, okay, next time I shall ring Spark. But I haven't because our phone reception is so miserable - we have now learnt to either go outside or stand up by a north facing window so that people can hear us - you would never guess that we live in good sized country town just 20 miles north of Christchurch.
So first of all I am going to go for jaybeinz's answer - that's if I can get onto Facebook - haven't been able to get there so far this morning.
Regards
Jean
Fawcett, Down; Gibson, Ayrshire and Tasmania; James, Cornwall and Victoria Aus; Cox, Northamptonshire, Thomas, Gloucestershire; Albury, Berkshire,