Author Topic: James Strachan of Hamilton, Lanarkshire  (Read 873 times)

Offline paul_mc

• RootsChat Senior
  • Scottish Guy researching his roots....
    • View Profile
James Strachan of Hamilton, Lanarkshire
« on: Friday 26 May 17 10:45 BST (UK) »
Hi All

Looking for yet more help.

A while ago I posted on rootschat about my Great, Great, Great Grandfather James Strachan.

At the time I was working on circumstantial evidence (dangerous I know) and had a like to Forres. Several of you pointed out that it was unlikely and I was left stuck in limbo.

While going through some old family papers I have found a sheet of paper which clearly states that although married and living in Hamilton James family were from Edinburgh. Now I have searched the records and still cant find a birth or death for him. I'm assuming the death will be more important as may contain hints to is parents identities.

SO...

Here is what I have

James married Margaret Harris 1825 , Hamilton, Lanarkshire (Margaret was born in Hamilton )
they had in order 

1826 - Peter Strachan (died as a baby but cant find a Hamilton death for him)
1828 - Ann Strachan  (also died as a baby but cant find a Hamilton death for her either)
1830 - Peter Strachan 17 May 1830 - My Great Great Grandfather)

1834 - Margaret Harris marries Robert Martin

Margarets parents were Thomas Harris and Ann Cunningham.

If the naming pattern was to be acknowledged then Peter (1) would have been named after James father making James' father Peter and then Ann was named after Margaret's Mother. When the first baby Peter died they re-used the name.

Can anyone throw any light on this one and finally help me crack it?
McCARROLL, MCCARDLE, COX, STRACHAN, CALDWELL, RAMAGE, WOOD, JOHNSTON

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: James Strachan of Hamilton, Lanarkshire
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 May 17 17:22 BST (UK) »

While going through some old family papers I have found a sheet of paper which clearly states that although married and living in Hamilton James family were from Edinburgh. Now I have searched the records and still cant find a birth or death for him. I'm assuming the death will be more important as may contain hints to is parents identities.

James Strachan's death was between 1830-34 with Margaret's re-marriage. Being pre 1855, his death or burial entry in a parish register (if there is one to be found) will not give you any clues on his parentage unfortunately. What is the source of info on the family papers you have found?

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline paul_mc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 May 17 17:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica

Nice to hear from you

It's an old hand written attempt an old aunt did of the family treeand it states on it that his family originated in Edinburgh

P

Offline Rodeo

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 June 17 07:31 BST (UK) »
There is a Bent Cemetery (Hamilton) burial record for:

STRACHAN Peter, age 72, date of burial 18 January 1904, 1 Quarry Street, Hamilton (address at his demise)

You may already have this, if he is your relation.

There is also a burial record for a Jane Strachan, presumably Peter's wife, at that same address:

STRACHAN Jane, age 61, date of burial 12 September 1901, 1 Quarry Street, Hamilton

Cheers,

Rodeo

Online Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 June 17 09:12 BST (UK) »
A Peter STRACHIN, Church Street Hamilton purchased a burial plot in the old Relief Congregation Church (possibly by that time called the Reformed Presbyterian Church) burial ground (now the Town Hall car park) on August 7th 1865. No actual records of interments exist, only the list of plot owners.
Not too sure when this burial ground was removed but the "new" town hall was built around the end of WWI, so it may have been then.

No Stracha(i)ns' mentioned in the MIs for Hamilton Parish Churchyard but there is one Harris.

"Erected by James Harris & his wife Helen Hailes in memory of their son John who died 19th December 1859 aged 2 years & 2 months".

The parish churchyard closed for burials on November 30th 1861.
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline paul_mc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 June 17 15:18 BST (UK) »
This is a really interesting fine. Thank you so much. I didn't know about this cemetery so I will now go and investigate. Thanks again

Offline paul_mc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 02 June 17 01:06 BST (UK) »
Lodger

I am wondering who he put in it when he bought it in 1865. Perhaps it was his father James as I have death dates for everyone else on the tree and none match 1865. I'm assuming to buy the lair you had to have a body to put in it to start it off? If that is the case then his father would have been exhumed and transferred to the bent along with the rest of them.

Also I have records from the bent cemetery listings to show two family members buried in common ground. does that mean there are no markings or gravestones?

P

Offline paul_mc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 24 September 17 15:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Logger can you let me know where you found this information?