Author Topic: Everybody else might already know this...  (Read 1899 times)

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Everybody else might already know this...
« on: Friday 26 May 17 13:11 BST (UK) »
...but after looking at it many times, I've just noticed that my ancestor (4th Cousin, 3 times removed!) Sir Arthur Harold Loughborough OBE and his fellow soldiers stationed in Elizabeth Castle,  Jersey in 1911 were asked for their father's place of birth.  I don't have any other islander relatives, but I assume that that was standard for the Channel Islands, at least in 1911.  Ironically his entry states 'not known'. 

Martin

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Everybody else might already know this...
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 May 17 13:18 BST (UK) »
Martin,

I don't have any connection to either but it will be a great help to many I'm sure.

Sods Law for you though  ::)

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Everybody else might already know this...
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 May 17 13:24 BST (UK) »
Ah, I've got the internet on my side.  I know the places of birth of his ancestors that he'd never even heard of.  I agree that it will be very useful to many.  I've only been doing this for 18 months, but I'm surprised I'd never read it anywhere.

Out of 20 names on that sheet, he was the only one who didn't know.  All the rest were England, except his CO from Rawalpindi.  Great days!

Martin