Author Topic: Tarver Squad RASC Nov 1940  (Read 4684 times)

Offline Brewins girl

• RootsChat Senior
  • REME 1943-46 & RAF Coastal & Transpt Command WW2
    • View Profile
Tarver Squad RASC Nov 1940
« on: Friday 26 May 17 17:46 BST (UK) »
Can anyone explain what 'Tarver' squad is or who Tarver is? My guess is that Tarver is the surname of the officer in the midst of soldiers in a very formal group photograph
Brooking (REME)
Robinson (RAF)
Southall (Pedmore, nr Stourbridge UK)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tarver Squad RASC Nov 1940
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 May 17 18:34 BST (UK) »
It was (and is) common practice for small units such as training squads to carry the name of an eminent person in their regiment or corps.  In this case, it is highly likely that this squad was named after Major General W K Tarver CB CMG who had a distinguished career in the Great War, who was Inspector of the RASC in 1929 and who later was appointed Representative Colonel Commandant of the Corps.

maxD

PS - it would be interesting to see the photo, great men often appeared on formal occasions.
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Brewins girl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 May 17 14:34 BST (UK) »
Did you get the photos MaxD?

There must be other copies of this photo - I wonder if anyone recognises any of the soldiers pictured?
Brooking (REME)
Robinson (RAF)

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 May 17 15:23 BST (UK) »
No photos seen!

maxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline Brewins girl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 May 17 16:43 BST (UK) »

Sorry about that. let's try again. Third time lucky? (just discovered my file was too big
Note the nickname for the Officer with the swagger stick (who you suggest is probably Major General W K Tarver)
Brooking (REME)
Robinson (RAF)

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 May 17 18:44 BST (UK) »
Whoa - I didn't suggest the officer was Maj Gen Tarver, it was that the squad was named after him!

Tweedledee is most certainly not the distinguished former General.  He is an RASC officer (the type of cap badge gives it away), probably a Captain, can't really see his pips.

This is an absolutely typical photograph of a squad after initial training.  The squad members, brand new ill fitting uniforms, highly bulled boots, fixed grins.  Squad officer in the middle (there was probably another squad trained by Tweedledum) with his squad corporal and lance corporal either side.  Note the bayonets that can be seen on the right hand side as we look at it.  Probably just come off the pass out parade at the end of training.

When these men went off to their next unit, another Tarver Squad would be born with the next lot of new recruits.  In the unit there would have been, more than likely, another squad or others carrying the name of another eminent retired RASC officer.  Bit like houses at school.

Fascinating!

maxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline Brewins girl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 29 May 17 16:04 BST (UK) »
'Fascinating' as you say MaxD. Thank you for your invaluable help. It just goes to show how careful we (I) must be as a civilian not to misunderstand. I learned from the REME historian for example, that whilst my uncle was a Radio Mechanic, the word 'Radio' really meant 'Radar' - quite a different thing I guess.

Can you clarify what is meant by the letter "C" in this:- "..he was remastered to Clerk Group "C" ..."
Brooking (REME)
Robinson (RAF)

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 29 May 17 16:38 BST (UK) »
Army jargon!!  It is actually re mustered which means he changed trades from whatever he was to become a clerk.   There were four groups of trades grouped (!_) by pay level, group C was the third of these, this isn't really significant.

Not sure what your historian was referring to, there were both Radio Mechanics and Radar Mechanics, each proficient at repairing the different types of equipment, the latter felt they were superior to the former..  Presumably this is not the RASC man?

maxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline Brewins girl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 29 May 17 18:47 BST (UK) »
Just to confuse matters, he (Ron, my uncle) enlisted in RAPC, transferred to RASC, then RAOC, &  finally REME!

He trained to be a Radio Mechanic when he was in RAOC (I think ! )
Brooking (REME)
Robinson (RAF)