Author Topic: Chasing Grandads Family  (Read 1651 times)

Offline keithjd27

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Chasing Grandads Family
« on: Friday 26 May 17 20:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Nice People,
I'm still trying to find my Grandad and his family. I have found out that he had a great love of Aberffrwd and lived there during his early life (1878ish) and he returned to the area later in his life and died in Aberystwyth and is supposed to be buried in Aberffrwd but I don't know when he died exactly. My information is that it was before the end of WWII and that he was "laid out" in his sister Elizabeth Davies' flat which was behind the Queens hotel above a car hire/garage with a short name beginning with L. I can find what I think is his family going to school in Aberffrwd and they should show up in the 1881 and 1891 census(s) but I can't find them.  The kids used to walk 3 miles to school and Elizabeth was living in Capel Bangor in 1957 so maybe... Sorry, I forgot to say my granddads name was David Davies and Great Granddad was Daniel Davies and married twice to A Mary Jenkins and  a Mary Stephens and both women are supposed to have had 6 children. This is driving me nuts and I am going to spend 4 days in Aberystwyth in early September and hope to see the "ole Plantation" and maybe see a few things through my eyes for some people who can't.
Thank you for any help. Kind regards Keith
Davies, Hollis, Rogers, Looker, Elias,

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
Re: Chasing Grandads Family
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 May 17 20:17 BST (UK) »
And grandad's surname was??
Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 May 17 20:19 BST (UK) »
Anerffrwd a lovely spot in the Rheidol valley.   My uncle farmed there for a short while.
Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 May 17 20:54 BST (UK) »
And grandad's surname was??
Dave

Davies, according to Keith's other post.

I think some local knowledge may be useful on this one  :) :)

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01k5l/

Previous link was incorrect, try this oneabove

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 May 17 22:48 BST (UK) »
I missed that.  Must give up the sour mash!
Dave

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 26 May 17 22:58 BST (UK) »
When you are in Aberystwyth, visit Ceredigion Archives.   They are located in Queens Square, Aberystwyth, previously, by coincidence in Queens Hotel.   They are very knowledgable and helpful and are on the Internet.  The National Library of Wales has an extensive collection of family history information - check online for regulations for temporary readers ticket.   The building itself is worth visiting.   My father worked there for over 40 years.
Enjoy your stay in the San Francisco of Wales ( they are both on the west coast) ha, ha
Dave