Author Topic: 1 Number - 2 Names  (Read 1684 times)

Offline anniedwyer84

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Irish Nutter on the Hunt for Rellies :-)
    • View Profile
1 Number - 2 Names
« on: Friday 26 May 17 20:18 BST (UK) »
Hi!

During WW1, my great-aunt wrote a letter to the AIF in Australia inquiring after her brothers who joined up. One brother she asked about was an Cpl Edward Patrick Ryan no.7149 B Company 1st Batt Royal Irish Regiment.

I went and searched for a medal card for the number, and came up with a Cpl. Patrick Ryan with the same number.

Could this be the same person? I know Edward moved to Australia and died in 1944, as have death cert but nothing on the Patrick.

I've attached both images for guidance.

Thank you,
Annie
The surnames, which I am interested in are; Maternal side: Ryan, Kevin, Grant, Grady, Gleeson, Walsh, Dwyer, Paternal side: O' Dwyer, Woodlock, Rochford & Britton - all in Tipperary; and Kelly and Hoynes in Laois.

Ryan, Campbell, Luttrell, Grant, Grahame, Bainbridge and Brown in Queensland, Australia

Tighe in Victoria, Australia.

Grant in Philadelphia, Sullivan and Penny in New York; and Britton in Connecticut

Offline anniedwyer84

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 1 Number - 2 Names
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 May 17 20:20 BST (UK) »
2nd image, would not attach even though I changed names about 5 times
The surnames, which I am interested in are; Maternal side: Ryan, Kevin, Grant, Grady, Gleeson, Walsh, Dwyer, Paternal side: O' Dwyer, Woodlock, Rochford & Britton - all in Tipperary; and Kelly and Hoynes in Laois.

Ryan, Campbell, Luttrell, Grant, Grahame, Bainbridge and Brown in Queensland, Australia

Grant in Philadelphia, Sullivan and Penny in New York; and Britton in Connecticut

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 May 17 22:00 BST (UK) »
Both bits of evidence relate to a man who served overseas.  The medal card says first theatre of war is France 4 Jan 1915 which suggests 1st Battalion R Irish.  They left France later and went to Salonika which is mentioned in the other piece.
There are only two 7149s with medal cards (equals overseas service) in the R Irish.  One is Joseph so discount him, the other is called Patrick.
The medal card also references a Silver War badge.  This was issued to a Patrick Ryan, discharged wounded on 30 Aug 19 who had served since July 1908 and was therefore in 1st or 2nd Battalion at the start of the war.

The other side of the medal card has a Queensland address and the owner returned his medals but had them re-issued in 1935, presumably to that address, there is no other reason for it to be there.

For me it adds up to the same man, you may wish to draw your own conclusion?

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline kentishkiwi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 May 17 22:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie

The Australian National Archives has all their AIF service records digitised. They have a Edward Patrick Ryan born near Tipperary DOB 1890. Could this be your man? His next of kin is a Michael Ryan , New Jersey USA. I am presuming he served in the AIF. Take a look at these records as other Ryans with Edward/Patrick christian names.

Regards
KK

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 May 17 22:09 BST (UK) »
Looking at the back of the service medal Index card for this man he applied for his medals Dec 1934 and they were reissued March 1935. The address given 229 Bolsober? Street, Rockhampton Queensland.
So I agree with maxD

Offline kentishkiwi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 May 17 08:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie

Just ignore my message about the Edward found in the AIF records as obviously not your man. However I did go on to find a record for your guy in the same archives .
Edward Patrick Ryan (aka Eric Patrick) Service no 7149 . I believe it is a pension record but is not digitised.  Queensland is mentioned so I went on to look at the Australian electoral rolls and he and his wife were living at 365 Bolsover Street, Rockhampton in 1936. I believe this is the same guy.
It looks like he used different names. If you post on the Australian section you may get even more information if you are searching for him.

KK

Offline anniedwyer84

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 27 May 17 09:25 BST (UK) »
Kentishkiwi, Crisane and Maxd..thank you for all your help  ;D

Now, here's another thing..I have a marriage record of a Patrick (Eric) Ryan to an Ethel Clarke in 1919 where my family were from with same father as my g.g grandfather. So, it seems that Eric Patrick, Edward Patrick & Patrick Ryan are the same person.

Kentishkiwi..have you a link to those archives?

I'll repost on the Australian page too  ;D

Offline kentishkiwi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 27 May 17 11:21 BST (UK) »
Annie

Glad to help. Not sure how to link but here is the website http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/search/
Entry is several pages along. Search on his proper name Edward Patrick Ryan. The record then shows with his aka Eric.

If you want, I believe you may be able to have the record digitised but there is a cost. i have paid for records through them and the process is really easy. They have passenger records as well.

If you look at Find a Grave website I am pretty sure you will find Eric's burial in Rockhampton. On the electoral roll his wife was down as Elsie so that is something to watch out for.

Happy hunting
Regards
Pam

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 27 May 17 14:01 BST (UK) »
Annie - note that there are two records (ticked here) https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/ListingReports/ItemsListing.aspx

best to order both perhaps?

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia