Author Topic: Irish in Golborne  (Read 1456 times)

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Irish in Golborne
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 21:25 GMT (UK) »
When using census records to look at the size of the Irish community it's common practice to count only Ireland born people as I have done for 1861. Remember the Irish community is actually larger than this number as the English born children of Irish people are counted as English.

Blue

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 21:59 GMT (UK) »
When using census records to look at the size of the Irish community it's common practice to count only Ireland born people as I have done for 1861. Remember the Irish community is actually larger than this number as the English born children of Irish people are counted as English.

Blue
That's what I did. Results: 1841: 1 person; 1851: 20 (approx.); 1861: 240 (approx.)
5 of those in 1851 were in same household and related to each other.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Population of Golborne was 1,910 in 1851 and 2776 in 1861. Increase was due to demand for workers in cotton factories. Other significant industries were mining and agriculture. (Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales by John Marius Wilson, 1870-2, quoted on A Vision of Britain Through Time) So in simple arithmetic Irish-born accounted for a quarter of the increase.
Looking again at the 1861 census, among the cotton operatives was a high number of young Irish lodgers without families. One 14 year-old girl was designated "head lodger". Did some of them come from workhouses and orphanages, I wonder?  A few of the Irish families who were cotton factory workers had previously lived in Manchester. A few others had been in Ashton-in-Makerfield and Prescot. (Deduced from POBs of children.)
Cowban