Author Topic: Lost in the ether: John & Eliza Jane Davis  (Read 2960 times)

Offline James18

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Lost in the ether: John & Eliza Jane Davis
« on: Friday 26 May 17 22:02 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

This is something I've been stuck with for almost a year now, so I thought it about time I asked for some help!

I'm trying to find a woman named Eliza Jane Watson in 1871 and 1911. She was born in West Dean, Gloucestershire in 1858, and is with her family in Coleford for the 1861 census. Her parents were John and Elizabeth Watson, who emigrated to Iowa at some point during the 1880s.

(Eliza) Jane married George Horne in Folkestone in 1879, and subsequently John William Davis in Windsor in 1900. I have found Eliza on the 1861, 1881, 1891 and 1901 census records, but cannot find her in 1871 (age 13 -- quite possibly a domestic servant somewhere) or in 1911, when presumably she will be with John, whom I cannot locate either.

According to the 1901 census, John is around the same age as Jane, was born in Westminster, and is a worker in a linoleum factory. I don't yet have a copy of John & Jane's marriage certificate - I will get one at some point - but I'm not sure it will be of much use in finding him in 1911.

John and Jane had a daughter, Lucy Horne b. 1889, Chertsey. In 1891, (Eliza) Jane and Lucy are living together as lodgers in Staines, Middlesex, as Jane Davis and Lucy Smith -- I think this is due to an error by the enumerator, who has confused Lucy with the Smith family she and Jane are lodging with.

In 1911, Lucy is living with her elder half-brother Percival Horne. From what I can gather, Lucy was a domestic servant all her life, and died in Wandsworth in 1959. It doesn't look like she ever married, though I've no idea if she ever had children as she's only 20 on the last census.

I cannot find either John or (Eliza) Jane in 1911, either together or apart. Presumably both are under the name Davis, but I've ruled out every possible match I've seen so far. As far as I know, Lucy was the couple's only child to survive infancy, so there isn't another child they would be living with. By 1911, Jane only has two surviving children from her first marriage - Percival and Frederick - and both are accounted for on census records.

So far I've only found John in 1901, but of course he has a very common name and I have no idea who his parents were, only that he was apparently born in Westminster... but the very same census also states that his wife was born in Merthyr Tydfil, which she wasn't.  :P

Any takers?

I'd love to know what became of John & Jane, and I have no idea why Jane is AWOL in 1871... all the family bar her are accounted for at home, and I can't find her as a servant or lodger in the local area. Given that she and George Horne later married in Folkestone (1879), I have considered that she may have been working in Kent by 1871... but she'd have been very young for a trip like that, and so far there's no trace of her.
Eighteen -- Hadleigh, Suffolk; Reading, Berkshire
Hendry -- Ballymena, Antrim; Glasgow, Lanarkshire
Wylie -- Ballymena, Antrim; Glasgow, Lanarkshire

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Lost in the ether: John & Eliza Jane Davis
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 May 17 23:11 BST (UK) »
Hi

No luck in 1871 either but Rootschat does not allow 1911 lookups - sorry
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline James18

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 May 17 23:12 BST (UK) »
The reason being...?

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline James18

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 May 17 23:19 BST (UK) »
Oh, fantastic...

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 26 May 17 23:24 BST (UK) »
Complete longshot but there is a Laura J Watson aged 13 working in Middlesex in 1871.  Birthplace shown as Foyhill Gloucs

I can't find an entry for her in 1861 or a birth reg     RG10 Piece 586 Folio 31 Page 5

Offline James18

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 26 May 17 23:28 BST (UK) »
That's on FamilySearch as:

Household
Role
Sex
Gilbert Mcrae   Head   M   29   Limehouse, Middlesex
Jane S Mcrae   Wife   F   30   Poplar, Middlesex
Lydia J Mcrae   Daughter   F   4   Poplar, Middlesex
Christiana M Mcrae   Daughter   F   1   Poplar, Middlesex
Gilbert Mcrae   Son   M   0   Poplar, Middlesex
Charlotte E Mcrae   Daughter   F   0   Poplar, Middlesex
Jane Laker   Mother-in-law   F   59   Fordrill, Gloucestershire
Laura J Watson   Servant   F   13   Poplar, Middlesex

Offline jann

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 27 May 17 12:24 BST (UK) »

In re: 1911 census.

If Eliza Jane had family (her parents) living in the US, it's possible she and her husband were visiting in the US at the time of the census.  Have you checked for them on ship's lists?

Jann

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 27 May 17 12:51 BST (UK) »

According to the 1901 census, John is around the same age as Jane, was born in Westminster, and is a worker in a linoleum factory. I don't yet have a copy of John & Jane's marriage certificate - I will get one at some point - but I'm not sure it will be of much use in finding him in 1911.

Could you please give the reference for the 1901 census - presumably it is in the Staines area near to the lino factory  :-\
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk