Author Topic: What happened to the two women in his life?  (Read 2229 times)

Offline LMFAO

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
What happened to the two women in his life?
« on: Saturday 27 May 17 05:49 BST (UK) »

I have posted here on the Hampshire board but my query does cover several counties.I am looking for the two women in my 2x grandfathers life.
They are his first wife and my 2xgrandmother whom he never married.
He was Charles Safe was born in 1835 Salisbury Wiltshire. He led a colourful life often in trouble with the law as reported in the Salisbury Journal on many an occasion, for being drunk and disorderly fighting -theft etc ect.....
In 1858 in his absence he received a prison sentence he went on the run and in
1859 he married a Susan Bishop  (born 1837 West Coker) in West Coker Somerset.
On the 1861 census they are living with her parents in West Coker.
This is the last sighting of Susan. No census, death or remarriage no evidence of any children. I can only think she may have lived with another man as his wife without marrying him.
I have tried searching "Susan born 1837 West Coker" that draws a blank.
Then 27/6/1865 a Caroline Cooper gives birth to my great grandfather William Charles Safe. ( I have his birth certificate)
Caroline was born in 1845 Charlton Andover. Through my research I know that Charles had relatives living there. So it seems he left his wife and moved on to where he had other family.
Charles was found dead in bed at Kingsomborne 10/2/1867. At the time he was lodging with Caroline's Aunt. Whether Caroline and the baby were with him there I do not know. There was an inquest but no mention of them.
 (In 1861 Caroline was lodging with her aunt this is probably how she met Charles. )
The child can be found from 1871 onwards being brought up by his paternal family in Salisbury. Caroline's mother was a widow so perhaps did not have the means to help bring up the child but it seems strange Caroline giving up her child  sending him to Salisbury with apparently with no further contact.
In 1871 there is a Caroline Cooper who I think is her working as a domestic in Kew Surrey.
(Caroline's sister Elizabeth was living in Marylebone in 1861 could be why she moved there)
Then In 1881 there is a Caroline Cooper born 1848 Charlton Berkshire working in Harley Street Marylebone as a house servant. This may be her with  Berkshire written in error.
(There was a Caroline Elizabeth Cooper Born 1849 Newbury Registration district. If she was born in Charlton Berkshire I think the registration district should be Wantage.)
A Caroline Cooper married  a James Hart in 1882 in Marylebone but I cannot find them on a later census
After that nothing. I have followed all of her siblings nieces and nephews and she is not with any of them.
It would be great if someone can find anymore about Caroline or Susan.
I think I need fresh eyes and fresh ideas as to where both these ladies are.
Many thanks

Offline djm297

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to the two women in his life?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 May 17 07:54 BST (UK) »
In the 1871 census Susan's parents, William & Ann Bishop  have a Grandson-George Bishop b.West Coker 1863, living with them(George Bishop registered Yeovil District Q2 1862). I have not been able to determine who his parents were...

djm297

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 May 17 10:42 BST (UK) »
Perhaps you should be looking at Susannah Churchill, wife of Daniel in the 1871 census. They are in Westbury, Wiltshire with a 1 year old Albert Churchill.
There is no marriage of Daniel Churchill to a Susannah in the years 1861-1871.
The new GRO index search shows a birth registered of Albert Churchill in 1870 in Dorchester district.
Mother's maiden name is Bishop.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LMFAO

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 May 17 13:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you for both replies and fresh eyes you have  given me valuable leads to follow up.
Susannah Churchill looks a good candidate particularly as you have found a Bishop as a maiden name.
I had previously discarded her as there is a marriage for Daniel Chuchill and Susan Hickman Sep 1857 and there was a Susan Hickman born 1836 West Coker. Two red herrings perhaps. I will have a more in depth look at this one thank you.

George Bishop is a bit of a mystery as well. I think his birth should be Yeovil 1862 but there is no mothers maiden name . Although if he was Charles son he should be registered as Safe as they were married by then . At the moment I cannot find any more on George but I will have a look.

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 May 17 15:00 BST (UK) »
Apologies.  I was a bit hasty with my previous post  :-[.  Susan Churchill is indeed Susan Hickman.  Her child was registered as Daniel Churchill, but went through life as Albert Daniel Churchill.
Albert Churchill born in Dorchester was the child of Thomas Churchill and Elizabeth née Bishop.

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LMFAO

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 May 17 15:33 BST (UK) »
No worries I'm am just really grateful for any help or ideas. This part of my tree has been bugging me for years now.
Charles appears to have been quite a villain always drunk and fighting I wonder if Susan just walked out if he was violent towards her. Maybe she changed her name completely if she was afraid of him and wanted to disappear. If so she did a pretty good job!!

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 27 May 17 16:03 BST (UK) »
The lack of a mother's name in the gro index for George Bishop would suggest that he is possibly illegitimate and that his mother's name was Bishop.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 27 May 17 17:06 BST (UK) »
Hi,

If this is George's baptism, it looks like he is the son of Susan's sister Elizabeth ,

Baptism
George BISHOP
12 Jul 1863
West Coker, Somerset
Mother:  Elizabeth 

Regards,
Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline djm297

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 27 May 17 20:09 BST (UK) »
Mmmm I wonder...in 1871 there is an "unknown" woman in the Almsouse in West Monkton-a laundress born in 1836,(as was Susan Bishop) but place of birth "unknown".

Interestingly, Susan's mother Ann is in the same Almsouse in 1881.

The whereabouts of Susan is really intriguing me!

djm297