Author Topic: Help with Robert Colly DALE from Newcastle  (Read 1767 times)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Robert Colly DALE from Newcastle
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 28 May 17 13:44 BST (UK) »
Boo, when you say "Online baptism records etc rare as hen's teeth for such a 'recent' time, though you could try the archives and trawl through microfilms." are we talking about a trip to the Discovery museum? do they hold microfilm baptism records?

Tyne & Wear Archives (at Discovery Museum) hold a lot of baptism records on microfilm.
You can check which ones they've got via the various User Guides here https://twarchives.org.uk/collection/user-guides-and-information
If you do decide to go please check on the opening times, and also make sure you book a microfilm reader in advance.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 28 May 17 20:53 BST (UK) »
Boo, when you say "Online baptism records etc rare as hen's teeth for such a 'recent' time, though you could try the archives and trawl through microfilms." are we talking about a trip to the Discovery museum? do they hold microfilm baptism records?

Oh yes :-)
https://twarchives.org.uk/collection/user-guides-and-information That link will give you an idea of their holdings on microfilm. Do ring / email them before turning up, check the opening times for the archives (its within the Discovery Museum but not necessarily open for the same hours as the actual museum) and book a microfilm reader in advance as they are in demand. Also you may need to apply for a readers ticket (CARN) https://twarchives.org.uk/visit-us/the-search-room  for return visits but when I first visited they let me have a visitor's pass , cos at the time I lived in Canada had not long got off a nine and a half hour flight and wasn't about to go home to get a council tax bill or summat  to verify my address! :-)

The staff are very helpful and will assist you if you visit. Its a wealth of info and prints from microfilms are quite cheap or you can just transcribe the details that you see (for free) if you would prefer.

Boo

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 28 May 17 21:21 BST (UK) »
Boo, yes, you are right, there is definitely an echo in here  ;D  ;D (reply #9)

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 28 May 17 21:22 BST (UK) »
Oh Jen I am sorry, I definitely didn't get a warning this time.

<off to check if Amazon can supply a hair shirt for my penance!>

:-)
Boo

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 28 May 17 21:26 BST (UK) »
Oh Jen I am sorry, I definitely didn't get a warning this time.

<off to check if Amazon can supply a hair shirt for my penance!>

:-)
Boo

It's not a problem  ;D  ;D It was so strange that we both said virtually the same thing (except I forgot about the CARN card)  :D

You wouldn't have got a red warning, because I posted hours ago, not while you were writing your post  :D

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 30 May 17 14:53 BST (UK) »
Free BMD shows him as marrying in Castle ward, Northumberland between Oct and Dec 1921 but in 1922 and 23 (according to the voters register) he appears to be lodging with William and Esther Atkinson at 45 Bellegrove West.

I forgot to say earlier that the fact he is shown by himself on the 1922/23 Electoral Register isn't necessarily significant. At this time women didn't get the vote until they were 30, so Jane/Jean wouldn't have been eligible yet.

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 30 May 17 15:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for your replies and helpful information.

That's an interesting point about being registered to vote and not something I would have thought of.

I have been to the archive before but it was about 5 or 6 years ago now and long before I started looking at doing my family history properly.

It sounds like they have a lot of good information up there, my biggest problem is the opening hours, it's not really geared up for people who work.

I'll have to make a list of what I want to look up then see if I can put some holidays in and get myself up there.

Thanks again for all of the help,

Michael
Dale (Newcastle Upon Tyne), Beck, English, Hall, Harrison, Stephenson (all from the North Shields, South Shields area), Woodger (from the Newcastle and Liss areas)