Author Topic: John Davies Tregeiriog, Denbighshire Wales (Parish of Llanarmon Dyffryn Ceiriog)  (Read 5401 times)

Offline Joanne1969

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello,

I would like to ask for any help or advice on my latest brick wall and would be terribly grateful for any feedback.  My Grt, Grt Grandfather John Davies (no mention of a middle name in any documentation I have seen so far.)

He died in Montgomeryshire 03/11/1936 aged 78 - I know this as I have seen the monumental plinth in Mochdre Church yard.
This suggests his birth year is 1858 depending on what month he was born.

His marriage certificate (which I was able to order recently through previous help from RootsChat) states he was 22 on the 28/01/1882 a coachman at Bryncoch, Mold (His Father Evan a labourer, his wife Mary Anne Dykins)
This suggests his birth year was 1860 again depending on what month he was born.

1881 census taken on 03/04/1881 he is aged 21 a coachman birth Tregeiriog, Denbighshire
This suggests his birth year was 1860 depending on month born.

1891 census taken 05/04/1891 he is aged 32 a coal miner in higher Kinnerton, Flintshire
Birth year 1859 and place Tregeiriog Denbighshre

1901 census taken 31/03/1901 he is aged 42 a coach man in Montgomeryshire
Birth year 1859 and place Tregeiriog Denbighshire

1911 census taken 02/04/1911 he is now aged 52 still a coachman
Birth year 1859 this time he has written birth place Llanarmon DC Denbighshire which I now know as the parish that Tregeiriog resides.

To my calculations I'm thinking he was born between 04/04/1859 and the 27/01/1860.

I've looked at the births in the Corwen district, as this is where I believe births were registered via the General records office at this time to try and find Mother's maiden name - I've narrowed it down to two one of Williams and a blank Mother's maiden name in the D or fourth quarter.

But still having difficulties as I don't know where his parents were married or her name - I have found an Evan Davies born in Llanarmon Dc on the 1851 census aged 21 estimated birth 1830 in  Ruthin but again I'm not having any luck.

I hope the information helps in some way to maybe getting some answers.
Thanks in advance
Joanne Davies  :)

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Hi

Who were the witnesses to his marriage.  It is also possible that his birth was never registered, this did happen in early years of registration.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Joanne1969

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hi Rosie,

The witnesses at the wedding of John Davies were a David Philips and Elizabeth Cheney.

Thanks

Joanne

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Is this the family in the 1861 census?

Living at Tyny Faclas, Llangwm, Corwen, Merionethshire, Wales

Archive reference   RG09
Parish number           4309
Enumeration district   34
Page number           4

A possible marriage for the parents:-

Marriages Sep 1849   (>99%)
Davies    Evan        St Asaph    27   217   
Hughes    Catherine        St Asaph    27   217   

Birth registrations from the GRO:-

DAVIES, JOHN       HUGHES     Order
GRO Reference: 1858  M Quarter in CORWEN  Volume 11B  Page 375

GRO Reference: 1858  S Quarter in CORWEN  Volume 11B  Page 367

GRO Reference: 1862  J Quarter in CORWEN  Volume 11B  Page 432

The 1862 one can be discounted as John's birth is before the 1861 census.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline Joanne1969

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hi Girl Guide,

Thanks for msg - the earliest entry I have for John Davies is in the 1881 census taken on 03/04/1881 he is aged 21 a coachman birth Tregeiriog, Denbighshire not living with his family.

I mentioned his father Evan Davies as I'd hoped he may have lead to something.  I'm getting ever so muddled with the districts etc all I know is that John's birth would have been registered in Corwen which I think "Gadget" mentioned on an earlier request and have since read on the GRO.

I was so hoping to find a baptism of a John Davies with a father Evan Davies and a christian name of his mother but unfortunately not.

:)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Hi Joanne

I've looked at all my local Ceiriog valley records (Llanarmon, Tregeiriog, Glyn Ceiriog) but can't see a John bpt with father Evan for those dates. It might well be that the family were non-conformist so would not appear on the Church records. Nothing coming up on FreeReg (non-conf record source) either.

Corwen was the very large registration district covering that area. Llanarmon and Tregeiriog were quite a way from Corwen itself, so not sure that the family that GG found would fit - Llangwm is even further from the area.  Also, the St Asaph RD is even further away so am doubtful about the marriage.

I think the best thing to do is to try and find him on the 1871 - haven't looked on that so far as quite busy and my favourite laptop is playing up  :-\

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
PS

Can you give a list of John's children in birth order and also his wife's parents' names, please. They might give a clue if they gave children family names.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
In addition to Genuki, this map of the location of Tregeiriog and surrounding area might help others who are looking:

https://tinyurl.com/yccaee4t

(I can't get RC's shrinklink to work at the moment  :-\ )

Gadget

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Though I can't find a suitable family in 1861 or 1871,in just using "Tregeiriog" as a keyword search term,the entries for the censuses gave "Llanarmon,Corwen,Merionethshire" or "Llangadwaladr,Llanfyllin,Montgomeryshire" in 1861 and only the latter in 1871.Maybe a search in Llanfyllin might yield something .

Regards
Roger