Author Topic: John Davies Tregeiriog, Denbighshire Wales (Parish of Llanarmon Dyffryn Ceiriog)  (Read 2327 times)

Offline Joanne1969

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ps just looked at the distance on the map from Llan DC to  Llansilin only 20 mins apart - making a little more sense now ;D

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • MEM 1878 - 1949
    • View Profile
Throwing these in based on  info that Roger and I have found:

Evan Davies  and poss Sarah Jones, Mar Q 1859, Corwen, 11b p 596
 .....................and poss Sarah Matthews Jun Q 1859, Corwen 11b, p 746

Mary Ann Davies reg Corwen RD March Q 1869 mmn Jones

If John was born Llansilin (and grew up in Tregeiriog), the Reg District would be Oswestry and lots of John Davies there! 

Rhiwlas is very close also - my 2Xgranddad was a farm labourer around there and was always hopping around various villages!  Very mountainous - it's the Berwyns  ;D

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
The Matthews alternative looks plausible.There is an 1859 Llanarmon marriage for Evan Davies,father David,marrying Sarah Matthews,father Thomas.
I have a feeling somewhere in the search I came across a Davies/Matthews household record,though it was not obviously connected at the time-I'll see if  I can find it again.

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
The record was for Evan Davies,1871 census,at RG10/5652/150/26.He is gven as born Glynceiriog,Llangollen.His wife is not with him,but he has a daughter Sarah,given born 1868.
Staying with him is Rowland Matthews,given born 1835.There is an 1841 census at HO107/1400/17/15/9 with Rowland who has a sister Sarah given born 1839,and a father Thomas.Just can't make my mind up whether this feels right.

Regards
Roger

Online Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • MEM 1878 - 1949
    • View Profile
I think I saw it too, Roger. In Cefn Mawr -- poss King street - but the names didn't fit!  This from memory of going through many records!
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Online Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • MEM 1878 - 1949
    • View Profile
Don't want to plough through treacle again but if I recall correctly the children were born Chirk and they didn't fit the timescales  :-\

Online Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • MEM 1878 - 1949
    • View Profile
Found the full details again now. I did recall correctly  ;D

While I can accept that the daughter Sarah could be recorded both with her father and with her uncle/grandparents, I think the fact that the daughters are down as being born Chirk was my main reason for rejecting the record when I saw it.

Gadget

Online Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • MEM 1878 - 1949
    • View Profile
Reg for a Sarah DAvies Sept Q, 1867, Corwen - mother Matthews

So someone might well have put born Chirk when they were born Glyn!

Others need checking against the GRO - will try with this slow machine!

Online Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • MEM 1878 - 1949
    • View Profile
Reg for an Ellin Davies March Q, 1862, Corwen - mother Matthews