Author Topic: John Davies Tregeiriog, Denbighshire Wales (Parish of Llanarmon Dyffryn Ceiriog)  (Read 5381 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
I did check the surrounding parishes/RDs and couldn't find a possible baptism or birth registrations.  I grew up in the area and got to know  it's foibles when searching my own ancestors! It had many complexities in it's administrative divisions. For e.g., my birth was registered in a Denbighshire RD but my parents marriage was registered in Shropshire - both took place in the same place!

John records both Tregeiriog and Llanarmon DC as birth places

Llangadwaladr is split into two -

The ancient parish comprised the townships of Tre'r Llan, Tregeiriog, and Nantyr. These two latter townships were entirely detached, lying north of the river Ceiriog, and surrrounded by the parishes of Llansilin, Llanarmon Dyffryn Ceiriog and Llansanffraid Glyn Ceiriog.

and

When Civil Registration was introduced (on 1 July 1837), the parish of Llanarmon Dyffryn Ceiriog was assigned to the No. 2 ("Corwen") sub-district of the Corwen Registration District; which was co-extensive with the Corwen poor law Union.

I  did a search on the 1871 with Tregeiriog and Llanarmon DC as a place of birth but nothing definite has come up so far.  There are many pieces in the 1861 census that are missing   :-\

Gadget

PS - worth looking at my map link in previous post:  https://tinyurl.com/yccaee4t
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Just looked through my previous searches of the 1861 ~ the only John Davies b. Tregeiriog and of approx age, has father as Richard and mother Jane:

RG09/ 4264/64/3
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Joanne1969

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi Gadget, thanks so much for your information - to be honest my mind is mashed with the districts and I don't have the most articulate thinking mind  :)

As you say, when Civil Registration was introduced (on 1 July 1837), the parish of Llanarmon Dyffryn Ceiriog was assigned to the No. 2 ("Corwen") sub-district of the Corwen Registration District; which was co-extensive with the Corwen poor law Union.

So, to me even though John puts Tregeiriog/Llanarmon Denbighshire I'm guessing he wouldn't have known that Corwen was the registration district.

People would just put where they were born as asked as we do today.  I was born in Montgomeryshire but my birth is recorded as Radnorshire!!!!

I'm thinking that maybe the family moved to Flintshire or just him for work, he was married in Bethal Chapel Mold 1882 (I don't know how this affects the non conformist thing) a year after being on the 1881 census also in Mold working as a coachman.

I'll add the names of his children as a last resort and thanks so much for your time.

Elizabeth M 1882
Sarah Ellen 1883
Katie 1885
Harriet Ann 1887
David William 1889
John Robert 1891
Jennie 1894
Rupert 1898
Gwendoline 1900
Dora May 1902
Myfanwy 1903

No mention of an Evan!!!!

Do you think this is a clue?

In Welsh, the name John is rendered as Ieuan (pronounced as Yay-an or Yey-an), Ifan (pronounced IV-an), Ianto (pronounced as Yan-to), Ioan (pronounced as Yo-an) or Siôn (pronounced as Sh-on). Ifan eventually became rendered into English as Evan.

Hope your lap top is better  :)

Cheers Joanne

Offline Joanne1969

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Gadget Ps I forgot wifes's parents names
Wife Mary Anne
Wife's parents William and Margaret

Offline Joanne1969

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hi Roger,

Thank for the suggestions of "Llanarmon,Corwen,Merionethshire" and Llangadwaladr,Llanfyllin,Montgomeryshire it's worth a try.

If I should find something I'll let you know it may help someone else.

Cheers
Joanne

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Hi Joanne

It doesn't look as if they used family names then  :-\

I did do a step through of all the families in Tregeiriog on the 1861 and the only  John Davies b 1858-1861 was the one that I mentioned (RG09/ 4264/64/3) with father Richard.  You can check up to see if I missed any families by going to that ref and looking through the pages around that one. The only other John Davies that stood out  was down as aged 10 - mother's surname was Edwards and she was a widow. It might be worth looking at that family just in case he was 10 months rather than years.

I also did a check for an Evan on the 1851 but nothing showing in Tregeiriog.

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
PS -

Re Evan - I have that name in every generation of my father's line that I've managed to track. The original one was an Evan Jones from Llangynog.. I think it then went into the patronymics   ;D

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Sorry for yet another separate post but I'm assuming that you read these posts via e-mail rather than on the thread so am not doing any  Addeds!

Here are the full details of the Tregeiriog families in 1861 ~

Tregeiriog, Llancadwaladr
Richard Davies, 26, labourer
Jane, wife, 28
Eliz(abe)th, d, 2
John, s, 7 mths
All born Lancadwaladr

and on previous page

Susannah Edwards, widow, 48, b. Glyn, Denbighshire  (Glyn Ceiriog)
John Edwards, s, 23, b. -do-
John Davies, s, 10, scholar, b. Llancadwaladr

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Wondering about this 1861 entry

Pen y bont, Rhiwlas, Llansilin, RG09/1876/63/14

Evan Davies, 24, ag lab, b. Llancadwaladr
Sarah, w, 22, b. Llangollen
John, s, 1, b. Llansilin

(Llansilin births are usually registered in Oswestry RD)

Gadget