Author Topic: Help me find the Blatch family?  (Read 1030 times)

Offline hunkyhywel

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help me find the Blatch family?
« on: Saturday 27 May 17 18:36 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for the ancestry of Stella Robbins.

She was born in 1913 in Surrey.
Her mother's maiden name was Blatch.

The only marriage record I can find to fit is Elsie M Blatch to Harold N Robbins 1911, London.

I'm wondering how confident I can be about this?
I'd love to find these in the census but as they'd still be single I'm not sure how confident I can be about that either.
The only eligible Elsie Blatch I can find in 1911 is in West Ham. How much did people move around this area of England in the early 1900s?

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help me find the Blatch family?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 May 17 18:55 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Did Stella have sisters Daphne M (b.1912) and Myrtle J (b.1915)?

JJ

Online Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 May 17 18:57 BST (UK) »
There's a tree on Ancestry with this pair as Stella's parents, and another with quite a bit of detail about Elsie's life which links her to the individual in the 1911 census you found. Harold appears to have been a bit older, and sadly the marriage didn't last.

People did move about a bit - especially young women going into service from a country area into London and its suburbs. My great grandmother was of a slightly earlier vintage and she moved to London from Yarmouth

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 May 17 19:00 BST (UK) »
There are newspaper articles covering the divorce of Harold Northway Robbins and Elsie Margaret Robbins where it's recorded that the couple had three children.

Harold was practising as a solicitor in Richmond.

JJ

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 May 17 19:04 BST (UK) »
Divorce Court File: 76. Appellant -  Harold Northway Robbins. Respondent - Elsie Margaret Robbins. Co-respondent: Walter Ernest Irwin Mourilyan. Type: Husband's petition for divorce [hd].

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C8033337

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 May 17 19:08 BST (UK) »
Walter Edmund Irvine MOURILYAN (c1877-1924)  -  Walter was named in newspapers, because a fellow Richmond solicitor, Harold Northway Robbins, was granted a decree nisi because of the adultery between his wife, Elsie, and Walter.

Walter and Elsie married on 16th August 1924.  Just over a month later, Walter was dead, having committed suicide.  He died on 19th September 1924 at 14 Star and Garter Mansions, Putney.  The relationship had been volatile and Walter’s name was again all over the newspapers, with paragraphs such as this:

Mr Walter Edmund Mourilyan, the solicitor, who figured in the sensational “Boy Prince” divorce suit two years ago, has been found dead from gas-poisoning in his flat.

And from The Hawera and Normanby Star of 25th September 1924:

DOMESTIC QUARREL - HUSBAND COMMITS SUICIDE - An inquest was held today concerning the death of Walter Mourilyan, a solicitor, of Richmond Surrey, who was found dead in his flat at Putney with his head inside the oven of a gas cooker.  His widow admitted that she quarrelled with the deceased on the day before his death. The deceased had an extraordinary and ungovernable temper.  His previous wife, interrupting shouted, "I won't let you run him down, you wicked woman!"  The interjector was removed from the court in hysterics. Replying to the coroner the widow denied assaulting her husband with tongs. The coroner read a passage from the deceased's last letter declaring, "I have no doubt that the cruel and cunning wife of mine will put all the blame upon me.  It's not true!"  The coroner summing up said he thought the widow was not as terribly to blame as the letter hinted.  A verdict was returned of suicide while of unsound mind..................

http://www.badseysociety.uk/sladden-archive/people/125

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 27 May 17 19:41 BST (UK) »
It would appear that Elsie remarried -

Elsie M Mourilyon
q1 1925, Hendon, Middlesex
Spouse - Frank Corbett
Vol 3a Page 487

Death -