Author Topic: Burial lookup request - Great Malvern  (Read 1890 times)

Offline itsrobert

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burial lookup request - Great Malvern
« on: Saturday 27 May 17 23:48 BST (UK) »
Hello,

If anyone who lives in Worcestershire would be willing to look up an ancestor for me I would be very grateful for your help. I live in Liverpool so it is not possible for me to easily do this myself.

My great-grandfather was called Lionel Francis Lane and he died on 15th October 1941, aged 56 years, at North End Cottage, Lower Wyche, Great Malvern. It has always been a mystery as to where Lionel is buried and I wondered whether some kind soul might be able to help me to locate his final resting place?

My knowledge of the area is extremely limited, so I would be grateful if I could benefit from someone's local knowledge and expertise. If possible, I would like to find out where he is buried, i.e. cemetery, section/grave number etc. so that if I ever manage to visit the area, I could pay my respects.

If anyone can help please do let me know if I can provide some more information.

Many thanks
Best wishes
Robert

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Burial lookup request - Great Malvern
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 May 17 16:58 BST (UK) »
There are two cemeteries in the area, great Malvern and Malvern wells, Geat Malvern is administered by Malvern town council, Malvern wells by Malvern wells parish council, Wyche is halfway between the two.

I have tried googling but keep being directed to pay sites  >:(,  if you you can find email addresses for these two above they may be able to help.

It is possible he may be buried in a churchyard but by 1941 spaces in churchyards were hard to find.

Sorry I cannot help more

Mike

Offline netti

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 21:45 BST (UK) »
Hello Robert - following on from Mike's reply below.

Great Malvern Cemetery would be the more likely of the two in my opinion. Records are available at the Hive in nearby Worcester and go up to 1942 according to their website. I live nearby and could take a look for you in the next week or two.
Malvern Wells Cemetery is not available on film but I can see if they have the originals when I'm there. About 10 years ago I contacted Malvern Wells Parish Council to ask for a grave plan of the cemetery and they gave me a small portion of it on excel - no Lanes on the section I've got. If Lionel can't be found in Great Malvern that will be another place to try asking.
AMES-london*ARROWSMITH-herefordshire*TUDGE-worcestershire*NOCTOR-wexford

All census information Crown Copyright
from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline itsrobert

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 22:47 BST (UK) »
Hi netti,

Many thanks for your reply. I have to confess that I contacted Malvern Family History Society who were very helpful indeed. I'm pleased to say that not only have I now found out that Lionel is buried in Great Malvern Cemetery, but I also managed to visit and find the approximate location of his grave on a day visit in August. It was a long way to drive down from Liverpool but it was worth it. The staff at the cemetery were so helpful and even dug out a section plan. We managed to locate the grave, although sadly it was a public grave and there was no headstone. Nonetheless, it was very moving to find Lionel after all these years!

So, thank you very much for your kind offer of help with the records. Although I don't now need help regarding Lionel, there are one or two other Lane (and Harbage) ancestors whose burial locations I would love to track down one day. If you ever fancy a bit of a project, please do let me know and I could give you names and dates/location of deaths.

Best wishes,

Robert

Offline netti

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 October 17 19:39 BST (UK) »
That's good news that you managed to track down the place where Lionel was laid to rest, and managed to make a visit.
Feel free to pm me any details you'd like some help with and I'll see what I can do. I'm happy to help if I can.
Kind regards
Netti
AMES-london*ARROWSMITH-herefordshire*TUDGE-worcestershire*NOCTOR-wexford

All census information Crown Copyright
from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk