Author Topic: Marchioness Mail Ship-Melbourne to Nelson to Wellington Passengers Help Please  (Read 10037 times)

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi marsbar60

At the time of adding the info for the MAHR [sic] family travelling per "Oceania" to Melbourne from Liverpool in 1858, I hadn't yet read the cyclopedia entry for Michael MAHER.   ::)

I have now  ;D   ... and it says (of Michael) that he arrived firstly to Melbourne (by the "Oceania" ) with his parents ...   
So it's the year of the family's travel that is in error in that cyclopedia article - stating 1856 rather than 1858.

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Hi again

Earlier you mentioned re: the cyclopedia entry for Michael MAHER, that it gave his place of birth as "Clonmel, Tipperary".   

I'm sure you've already spotted in the probate file for Thomas MEAGHER, (in the affidavit of his son James MEAGHER), that Thomas was born at "Killanaule" [sic], Tipperary.   
Actual spelling is "Killenaule"  - it's situated about 16 miles from Clonmel.
Just mentioning this, as in tracing your Irish roots, it's enormously helpful to have the names of townlands and parishes in order to be sure you have the right family (of that particular surname).
[Mine are RYAN's of Tipperary so I know finding them isn't that easy.  ;D ]

Have some more information to follow, for parents of the MAHER family.   >

~   Lu

Offline marsbar60

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Something else that is quite important is that my great grandfather James Maher who was an executor in his father Thomas's probate stated this in his affadavit:

"Thomas Meagher was born in Killenaule County Tipperary in Ireland of parents with British nationality in 1839"

I am still trying to see if I can verify Michael's age at death, which was in the paper(see previous post) which was stated as 87 years of age which meant he was born around 1834, so he would have been around 22 years old in 1856. But this could be another red herring.

Offline marsbar60

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
His NZ death registration at  seems to back up the newspaper notice, stating that he died at 88 years of age. www.bdmhistoricalrecords.dia.govt.nz  Reg No. 1921/4316

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Something else that is quite important is that my great grandfather James Maher who was an executor in his father Thomas's probate stated this in his affadavit:

"Thomas Meagher was born in Killenaule County Tipperary in Ireland of parents with British nationality in 1839"

Hi ....  did you mean the following extract from James MEAGHER ??    Item # 2.  ??

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-L92R-H55F?mode=g&i=339&cc=1865481

Sorry, I don't see where it has the year "1839" ???

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

His NZ death registration at  seems to back up the newspaper notice, stating that he died at 88 years of age. www.bdmhistoricalrecords.dia.govt.nz  Reg No. 1921/4316

It does seem to back up .... BUT ... it is no guarantee unfortunately, that the informant to the death of Michael MAHER, gave (or was even in possession of), the absolutely correct information. 

Sorry, but that's just the way it is with death records ... (as explained before) ... they are not always a reliable source.   

And so it is ... we must plod on and see if we can locate another resource which can be used as verification.   ;D

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
There is a MAHER family of ten travelling Melbourne to Wellington on the Marchioness in 1858 on the outwards passenger lists here:

https://www.prov.vic.gov.au/explore-collection/explore-topic/passenger-records-and-immigration

Parents are Patrick and Mary, children include a Thomas and Michael

Thank you for finding that, I have confirmed Michael's age at death(died 3rd Aug 1921, in Wellington) and his birth date through his probate. He was born in 1842, the Michael Maher in that passenger list was 11 (born in 1847).

Hello again ... 

I'm just trying to be helpful with your search, so please don't look upon any comments I make here as being the opposite of that.  ;)

Have read through, (but may have missed something ?), the Probate for Michael MAHER, and no where does if give "his birth date" on the file ??   

Yes, the executors confirm "they had been advised" that "Michael MAHER was born in Clonmel, Co. Tipperary" (but, as is generally usual, the age of the deceased person,  a.k.a. the testator. is not included in a Probate file unless it appears on an annexed death certificate.)

~  Lu

Offline marsbar60

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Thank you Lucy I do appreciate your help, I am sure I found 1839(in words) somewhere in his probate, I should have referenced the page.  Thomas has quite a lengthy probate, but very interesting. My great grandfather James made a trip to Buenos Aires according to what I heard from my grandmother. I think that must have been to settle Thomas's estate there. I believe James and Emily his wife I think went together to Argentina, I would like to find what ship they went on too, but I don't know the exact date they left NZ for Argentina. Thomas had a rather too public court separation from his wife Mary in 1898, so I am guessing he just wanted to get away overseas from what was probably very hard to live with for a very religious man. Newspaper article here:
https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/NZTIM18981206.2.9?query=thomas%20meagher

Offline marsbar60

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
I found where I got Thomas's birth date of 1839 from, it is in his probate on the 25th page in Michael's affadavit