Author Topic: Marchioness Mail Ship-Melbourne to Nelson to Wellington Passengers Help Please  (Read 9963 times)

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Good  ;) ... can you post a link please ?

~  Lu

Offline marsbar60

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Don't worry ... here's the link >

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-L92R-HRW7?mode=g&i=348&cc=1865481

Sorry ... yes, I missed it (very long Probate and a good deal of information to be taken in. )

Of course, Michael MAHER is only estimating his brother's age (about 60 years)  ... and 1839 isn't too far removed from 1842 (his approx. birth year on arrival in Melbourne and NZ.)

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
 ... oops you beat me to it.  :D

-----

So, despite the inconsistencies with "ages at death" - and perhaps "ages shown on passenger lists", ??- I hope you can see that the MAHR (MAHER) family arriving in Melbourne (per "Oceania") and coming on to Wellington a few weeks later in March 1858, are much more likely than any other persons, to be the Thomas (MEAGHER) and his brother Michael MAHER, you seek ?   ;) 

Am about to add further information for the MAHER parents :

~   Lu 

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Patrick and Mary MAHER :        [Arrived Wellington 1858 per "Marchioness" ]

Sadly, Patrick MAHER died a little short of two years after his arrival in NZ, on 30 November 1859.

He is buried at the Mount Street Roman Catholic Cemetery in Wellington with his wife, a son and another young male relative.   I'll add the headstone transcription below :

Of interest, his age was given as 44 years (born circa 1815) on the h/stone and that is a good match with his approx. year of birth given on passenger lists.  The record for his wife Mary is a little suspect though with regard to her year of birth.

Mount Street Roman Catholic Cemetery - Wellington

82.   In Loving Memory of Patrick MAHER who departed this life on 30 November 1859 aged 44 years.   ALSO his son John MAHER, died 18 February 1872 aged 23 years.
Mary MAHER wife of the above, who died on 4 October 1905 aged 98 years.
Noel COONEY died 12 December 1934 aged 19.   R.I.P.   
-----
Will comment further on Mary MAHER in a following post.

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Incidentally, the death registration at NZ BDM (online) for Patrick, shows as >>

1859 / 1565 - MEAGHER - Patrick - 44 years

Probably not worth purchasing the death record, as for that era, it contains only minimal information.

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Mary MAHER - died 1905 at Wellington :

Well happily, Mary MAHER left a Will (dated 1884) - which can be viewed at this link >

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-L9VX-1D35?mode=g&i=108&cc=1865481

And even more happily, it contains a copy of her death registration (registry image) so you wont need to spend $$ on purchasing that.   :D

ALSO ... it confirms that she has a son named Michael MAHER, a clerk who resides in Wellington.
The 1905 death registration gives ages of her living issue as :

2 males = aged 67 years (bc 1838) [possibly Thomas ? ] 
   and = aged 60 (bc1845 )  [Michael ? ]

1 female = aged 55 years (bc 1850) [and this must be the daughter, Mrs BIDDLE* at whose home Mary MAHER died ?]

Notes for * Mrs BIDDLE and Mary MAHER - to follow.

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Mary MAHER and her daughter, Hannah* BIDDLE.

In the Will (dated 1884) of Mary MAHER, you'll note that her daughter is named as "Johanna BIDDLE, wife of Edward BIDDLE".

The marriage record for this couple shows as "Hannah MEAGHER and Edgar BIDDLE - year 1870" - and their children's births are registered with parents named as "Hannah and Edgar".

* Hannah :   On the passenger lists given earlier, the youngest child of Mary and Patrick MAHER, is recorded as "Judith MAHR (or MAHER)" who has a birthdate circa 1852.

"Judith" is very possibly a mis-transcription of "Johanna" ??  [And "Johanna" of course seems to be largely known in later life as simply, "Hannah". ]  Anyhow, the age at death for Hannah BIDDLE is 68 in 1920 - so born circa 1852 and matches birth year for "Judith MAHER" of whom I could find no further mention.

Mary MAHER - born c. 1807 - seven years the senior of her husband ??  Certainly not unusual and may be difficult to verify this.   Mary's maiden name appears to have been DWYER.

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Hi marsbar60

Here is the Probate record for Hannah* BIDDLE ... which confirms her place of birth as
"Killnaul" [sic] Co. Tipperary.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-89L3-Z9TX-W?mode=g&i=518&cc=1865481

Found above indexed as "Hanna BIDDLE" .. though she has signed her Will as "Hannah BIDDLE".

~  Lu