Author Topic: Marchioness Mail Ship-Melbourne to Nelson to Wellington Passengers Help Please  (Read 1880 times)

Offline marsbar60

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marchioness Mail Ship-Melbourne to Nelson to Wellington Passengers Help Please
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday 30 May 17 04:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you again, it looks like my great grandfather James was spot on about Killenaule too. I intend to write all this up into a booklet for our family. (I used to produce a local club magazine) I want to get more photos of Thomas Meagher's family first though, if I can find them. I emailed the Catholic church in Perth trying to find more info on Sister Mary Vincent who was residing at Leonora near Perth when Thomas died in 1919.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marchioness Mail Ship-Melbourne to Nelson to Wellington Passengers Help Please
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday 30 May 17 04:47 BST (UK) »
So you can look these Ireland - Roman Catholic parish records, up yourself at the following link.

http://registers.nli.ie/

When inserting the name of the parish > "Killenaule" > you're given two options - suggest you search both.

~   Lu

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday 30 May 17 05:49 BST (UK) »
I've found the baptism of Thomas MAHER :   :)

http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000632749#page/72/mode/1up

>   Use the page that comes up on screen

>   Select Year, 1840 -- Month, February

>   Select left-hand side page

>   Date looks to be 8 (February)

Annoyingly all the christian names of the babes seem to be abbreviated.

Here's my transcription :

Parish :   Killenaule and Moyglass  (Tipperary)

1840 - February 8

Tom of Patt. MAHER and Mary DWYER
*Sp:   Patt or Matt DANIEL (looks like ?) and ? (Wm?)  DWYER, Graytown.

[Note:  Patt. was a usual abbreviation for "Patrick" in these records - sometimes also spelled as Patk.    Tom = Thomas  /  Jno. = John  etc.   ]

~  Lu

Offline marsbar60

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday 30 May 17 05:52 BST (UK) »
I had started as well (http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000632749#page/1/mode/1up) , but not found anything yet, Awesome!

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday 30 May 17 06:02 BST (UK) »
... and Michael.   :) 

Same Parish as for Thomas :

September - 1841 - day = 29

Micl.  of Patk. MEAGHER and Mary DWYER
Sp:  Thomas DWYER and Mary MEAGHER, Graystown.

[Note:   Micl.  = abbrev. of Michael. ]

~  Lu

Offline marsbar60

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday 30 May 17 08:37 BST (UK) »
Great to know! Gosh the NZ death cert. was 7 years off on Michael's age at death, I am learning :-) 

I have my tree on familysearch and I have Legacy9 to back it up offline.

I have always been wondering if someone else has followed the same tree back this far, perhaps on Ancestry, but I have friends on Ancestry and we have never found this part of the Maher/Meagher tree. After filling in as many details as possible I can go to one of my friends with a GEDCOM file and upload it to Ancestry, otherwise what would you suggest?