Author Topic: Marchioness Mail Ship-Melbourne to Nelson to Wellington Passengers Help Please  (Read 10027 times)

Offline marsbar60

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marchioness Mail Ship-Melbourne to Nelson to Wellington Passengers Help Please
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday 30 May 17 04:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you again, it looks like my great grandfather James was spot on about Killenaule too. I intend to write all this up into a booklet for our family. (I used to produce a local club magazine) I want to get more photos of Thomas Meagher's family first though, if I can find them. I emailed the Catholic church in Perth trying to find more info on Sister Mary Vincent who was residing at Leonora near Perth when Thomas died in 1919.

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marchioness Mail Ship-Melbourne to Nelson to Wellington Passengers Help Please
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday 30 May 17 04:47 BST (UK) »
So you can look these Ireland - Roman Catholic parish records, up yourself at the following link.

http://registers.nli.ie/

When inserting the name of the parish > "Killenaule" > you're given two options - suggest you search both.

~   Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday 30 May 17 05:49 BST (UK) »
I've found the baptism of Thomas MAHER :   :)

http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000632749#page/72/mode/1up

>   Use the page that comes up on screen

>   Select Year, 1840 -- Month, February

>   Select left-hand side page

>   Date looks to be 8 (February)

Annoyingly all the christian names of the babes seem to be abbreviated.

Here's my transcription :

Parish :   Killenaule and Moyglass  (Tipperary)

1840 - February 8

Tom of Patt. MAHER and Mary DWYER
*Sp:   Patt or Matt DANIEL (looks like ?) and ? (Wm?)  DWYER, Graytown.

[Note:  Patt. was a usual abbreviation for "Patrick" in these records - sometimes also spelled as Patk.    Tom = Thomas  /  Jno. = John  etc.   ]

~  Lu

Offline marsbar60

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday 30 May 17 05:52 BST (UK) »
I had started as well (http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000632749#page/1/mode/1up) , but not found anything yet, Awesome!

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday 30 May 17 06:02 BST (UK) »
... and Michael.   :) 

Same Parish as for Thomas :

September - 1841 - day = 29

Micl.  of Patk. MEAGHER and Mary DWYER
Sp:  Thomas DWYER and Mary MEAGHER, Graystown.

[Note:   Micl.  = abbrev. of Michael. ]

~  Lu

Offline marsbar60

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday 30 May 17 08:37 BST (UK) »
Great to know! Gosh the NZ death cert. was 7 years off on Michael's age at death, I am learning :-) 

I have my tree on familysearch and I have Legacy9 to back it up offline.

I have always been wondering if someone else has followed the same tree back this far, perhaps on Ancestry, but I have friends on Ancestry and we have never found this part of the Maher/Meagher tree. After filling in as many details as possible I can go to one of my friends with a GEDCOM file and upload it to Ancestry, otherwise what would you suggest?

Offline Peter Clapcott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Sunday 24 June 18 04:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the interesting (finer) details on Mary/Patrick and the Meaghers.
Especially the Hannah, Hanna , Johannah, Judith  sub-topic. - noting that Marys mother was Johanna Dee
(The Biddle story is one worth researching)

FWIW I descend from Catherine (1845-1895) m(1866) John Casey(1843-1879) - Of Casey Farm Ngaio(sic).
Catherine and John also both buried at Mount St. - no headstone currently evident.

Re Maher Place
One of my todo's , was to look into "Meagher Park" for a connection - do you have anything on that already

Offline marsbar60

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Sunday 24 June 18 20:12 BST (UK) »
So good to hear from a fellow researcher. I have been in touch with a historian at Porirua city council about Maher Place and we found this is named after Thomas Maher Junior, his father was Thomas Meagher. Thomas Meagher built up around a 2000 acre farm in Takapu Porirua and he was my Great Great Grandfather. My Great Grandfather was Thomas Meagher's second son James. Thomas Meagher separated officially from his wife Mary and moved to Buenos Aires from Porirua in 1899 and died there on 1st April 1919. His probate is available online. I am pretty sure that Meagher Park was named after Thomas Senior. I have some family photos that show James visiting a Ngaio property, but I haven't figured out the connection there yet.

Offline Peter Clapcott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday 03 July 18 11:04 BST (UK) »
.... My Great Grandfather was Thomas Meagher's second son James....
Hi Cuz (4th).

My interest with this Meagher/Maher thread is via Catherine. As already evident the shipping records offer a family grouping that is not evident elsewhere - at least not in the usual channels. Spelling not withstanding, missing parents names on death certificates is a hindrance and  the dates are imprecise ...
Catherine is listed as 10 in 1858 giving a DoB of 1848 yet here death in 1895 (NZ BDM 1895/6118) gives her age of 50 (with Year in NZ) as 40) - meaning a DoB 1845 (Arrival = 1855).

While I have a tentative DNA link with one of you cousins, having Thomas (Snr) die out of the country has meant indirect linkages are needed in order to connect.
This thread has discussed the connection with Michael and Thomas, however Michael is the pivot for me as he is noted as an executor to the will of John Casey (Snr d-1879) , Catherine's husband, and also has John Casey (Junior) , Catherine's son, as an  executor on his will.

I am lost as to what the politics/societal environment of 1921 was, that allowed Michael's death certificate to fail to record his parents names (and hence a concrete connection to Mary & Patrick). Was he a cousin maybe (masquerading as a son for immigration purposes in 1858)  - Or was it just a lazy/busy undertaker?

Re: Photo from Ngaio : the exact date may be important as the Ngaio area of the time might mean anything from Khandallah to Crofton(Downs) with Nairnville in between being the current suburbs in an area that was also referred to as Upper Kaiwar(r)a, (Kaiwhara, Kaiwharawhara).

Re. Takapu and the Farm of Thomas Meagher - do you know the exact location of the farm homestead?