Author Topic: Elizabeth Kelly  (Read 3165 times)

Offline JoyceMH

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Kelly
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 28 May 17 07:34 BST (UK) »
Yes that is correct. Mary arrived on the New Liverpool ship to Port Philip 1849,married John Dykes the same year. Yes that is their marriage details above. Mary was born in Dublin on the birth certs we have of her children , so my thought is that Elizabeth would have been as well. I dont think she would have been born in VDL, but she must have got their somehow. I dont know her birthdate but Mary was born 1830, so i think it would be closeish to that. Sorry i know very little about her, shes come on the scene as a 'wild card' really with these trove clippings - but as Mary Dykes has probably ended up with no desendants besides out family in NZ, im wondering if we may find some desendants through this sister Betsey.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 28 May 17 07:50 BST (UK) »
So no response to the newspaper notice in 1855?....still hoping in 1858?

Second notice does not mention Geelong. I wonder if Elizabeth would recognize herself as sister of Mary...would Elizabeth know Mary's married name?   And second notice names Launceston. 

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 28 May 17 08:30 BST (UK) »
Not that it's much help but Mr J W BELL gave up the furniture trade in Melbourne about 1859, according to this article (assuming it's the man referred to)

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/154882265
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/5692858

Seems Mr BELL may not be able to deal with his business himself.
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/154881726

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JoyceMH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 28 May 17 08:36 BST (UK) »
Interesting though!

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 28 May 17 09:18 BST (UK) »
Do you have any idea who the parents of Mary and Betsey were? Might help figure out which Elizabeth/Betsey is her.

J.W. Bell may have been Joseph William Bell?
He was an auctioneer in Tasmania, but his obituary back in Tasmania in 1870 says he also was an auctioneer and furniture dealer in Melbourne for a time.(http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/67276149?searchTerm="Joseph%20William%20Bell" )
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JoyceMH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 28 May 17 09:28 BST (UK) »
No, we dont sorry. These girls were orphaned so i doubt we will be able to find any records of that.It does look like the auctioneer could have been the person she arrived in Melbourne with.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 28 May 17 09:30 BST (UK) »
Well. Elizabeth wasn't married to J W BELL - perhaps she worked for him

Here's some info about him, and my reasons

We know he was an auctioneer/trader in Launceston.  Almost all references I could see on TROVE merely give his initials.  1856 electoral roll shows a Joseph William BELL, trader, residing in Collingwood but with premises in Collins St, Melbourne.

TROVE shows a birth in November 1839 to the wife of J W BELL in Launceston.
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/8750271

Tasmania Linc site shows this birth to be
Arthur Waite Iredale BELL, born 19 November 1839, registered Launceston, RGD33/1/23/ no 212
parents: Joseph William BELL, auctioneer, and Georgina FORD

There is a quite well-researched on-line public tree for this family, but no mention of an Elizabeth KELLY!!

As you said - mildly interesting but no help in your search.  Judith.

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

Offline JoyceMH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 28 May 17 09:33 BST (UK) »
Yes it is. For some reason, he must have brought her to Melbourne from Launceston.Not sure why that would be but no clearly they weren't a couple!

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 28 May 17 09:38 BST (UK) »
He had quite a few children by the time he came over so perhaps she was employed as a domestic servant.  :-\  Judith