Author Topic: Barking up the wrong family trees  (Read 2326 times)

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
Barking up the wrong family trees
« on: Sunday 28 May 17 13:05 BST (UK) »
 Does anyone else feel like a dog barking at unobtainable ..but exciting squirells
in their own trees or other peoples.

digging at roots + picking up branches is fun too

dropping   friendly offerings at peoples feet

well meaning but often not appreciated

or they won't throw my ball  back for me

Like a dog i'll cheerfully persist
appreciate unexpected treats

+ maybe learn new tricks   
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Barking up the wrong family trees
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 May 17 13:23 BST (UK) »
Here are my Irish squirrels:-

1. A couple who left Ireland without getting married with a child on the way in the 1870s.
2. Born before the parish registers started in their part of Ireland - various.
3. An 18th century soldier in the Isle of Man's defence force the Manx Fencibles not born on the island with an Irish surname but no trace of his Irish origins.
4. A Kelly who came to Liverpool at an early date, prior to 1807.

Blue   

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 May 17 14:06 BST (UK) »
My squirrels
are dubious connections

but 1 did chase 2 men with same surname as on Gma's birth cert ..and the one that wasnt the right man turned out to be his father with a second wife

so one day your squirrels might get caught

Also some people on here are hound dogs + can sniff blood scent to distant relatives
+ sniff out documents tha prove everything 

I must be a differeent kind of scent follower
just helping a man look for his half siblings + i followed his grandparents marriage + uncle + fathers deaths + marriages
his own birth cert  from 1944 gives a different name for his mother .I.ve not seen it yet.

most likely reason was because his mother was deserted by  her husband while pregnant

but she later had 2 more children with her husbands younger brother
who she didnt officially marry until 1960 .

i follow adoptions + cared for babies ...and  no wonder DNA results dont always fit

On paper the story looks very different because

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 May 17 14:26 BST (UK) »
Some of my squirrels seem to have sailed to England (in a nutshell?) from Ireland - And I've retired, defeated, from barking at any of those four surnames.
I like the analogy of a dog worrying at a tree - as I've just spent four days almost solidly hunting for a chap who appears in 1851, has a family ( but, it appears, neither birth nor parents) stays for 1861, and 1871 censuses up in Scotland, then vanishes again ( no death findable) then I can only say - He's dropped off his perch in the tree?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 May 17 15:24 BST (UK) »
Does anyone else feel like a dog barking at unobtainable ..but exciting squirells
in their own trees or other peoples.

digging at roots + picking up branches is fun too

dropping   friendly offerings at peoples feet

well meaning but often not appreciated

or they won't throw my ball  back for me

Like a dog i'll cheerfully persist
appreciate unexpected treats

+ maybe learn new tricks   

I think it is a great analogy and have often said it is a shame people don't behave more like dogs, they don't hang onto 'bad feelings', lack of appreciation, don't care if you are sad or happy they still 'love' you and everyyyyyyyyyyyyyy thing is exciting  ::)
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 May 17 15:49 BST (UK) »
Analogy  was inspired by my neices dog who brought me a soggy toy to play tug of war with him

I was a bit snooty + ungrateful

Then wondered how someone was going to react when I told him that his mother and stepfather didn't actually marry til 15 years after his birth and two siblings    but he was just happy to find out about his birth father s death year and place

Yorky sound very positive person I bet you show appreciation .I.ll happily throw sticks in your direction or play tug with a big branch

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 31 May 17 18:12 BST (UK) »
Hello squirrel chasers

I had put aside a quest to find several illegally adopted babies in 1906-1907

bang in middle of doing serious digging into a friend's family

Another squirrel hunter contacted me from a local radio station .he.s looking into a Victorian news story and found my great grandmother name  associated with the story and my  research .so far
..he connected me via messenger ...
.how did he squirrel out my contact details ...?

Then sent me a message on roots forum   ...

So now I will have  with access to better recourses and a different  public

how do dogs celebrate ?   I.m not really a dog person

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 31 May 17 21:14 BST (UK) »
Depends on the dog and breed.......  I have to say mine spent 2 hours today at the demense chasing those impossible to catch squirrels and it doesn't seem to matter that in 5 yrs of going they have never even been close to catching one and are never likely to be.....so dogs are also squirrel chasers, so not so different to us ::)
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 31 May 17 22:59 BST (UK) »
Brilliant that the Radio station researcher should have access to different sources for you - perhaps he's also a "Roots" person, and that led him to ferret out your contact details? Keep us all informed of your rising stardom!
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)