Author Topic: Barking up the wrong family trees  (Read 2339 times)

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Barking up the wrong family trees
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 01 June 17 00:49 BST (UK) »
Sadly not everyone is as interested in our Genie enquiries as we be.

The celebration of happy dogs seems to entail [no pun intended] a lot of tail wagging and genital and snout contact.

The continue the same analogy "doggedness" is one of the keys of a good Genie snout. Keep at it and check the spouses, the known towns/townlands, churches, similar names etc to try and climb those brickwalls.

This is an excellent forum and long may it be FREE.

Saying Thank You at each thread does absolutely no harm.

Keep up the good work team

cheers
Jack Gee

CECIL - DNA, GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,HARVEY,ALLEN.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 01 June 17 18:12 BST (UK) »
Agreed. I've had splendid help from others on here, and hope that from time to time I've been able to help others a little, too. Long may it flourish!
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 01 June 17 21:38 BST (UK) »
still laughing jack

I'll forego some of the abovementioned dogedness

you are not related to Rob Gee my comedy mentor by any chance are you

I'm sitting up + begging for tidbits at moment + needing walkies

spent afternoon in park ..got sooo much support on here about this story and the surrounding ones

will have to include my neices dog in my comedy skits from now on ..tho my alien grandad gives me plenty of material

The researcher is not a seasoned rooter .he's a really nice man+ has already posted a poster from 1906 where Leo selwyn was performing a month before his partner in crime gave birth

+ one of the adverts she placed
re

lady without encumbrance ..wishing to ...a  healthy baby ..total surrender

I've worked out what it means have you

imagine not having encumbrances of your own and being willing to pay £15 for the expenses of obtaining one

yours unencomberedly

feelgood B ..i smell chocolate .....

mmmn

Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 02 June 17 16:15 BST (UK) »
...and a generation later did the encumbrance advertise in turn:
"Encumbrance wishes to meet mother with a view to sorting her out!" perhaps?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 02 June 17 23:15 BST (UK) »
i dont suppose she ever found out she was not the birth child ..but the lady who placed advert was just a go-between and was posing as a childless married couple ..

the" adoptee" who used the term "unencumbered " to mean childless +

she wanted someone who would surrender the baby completely ie not come looking for her

my nana did go looking for her birth mother as an adult ..found her + got a letter of rejection which she kept among her papers ..found after her death

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 03 June 17 00:14 BST (UK) »
Sad about the cases that you mention for a number of reasons. Brick walls that you KNOW you cannot bypass. However us Genie treKKers have an inbuilt thick skin. We enjoy the journey with the ups and downs. A word of warning for  newbies to the caper -  don't ask the question if you are - AFRAID OF THE ANSWER.

keep up the good work troops.

Jack
CECIL - DNA, GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,HARVEY,ALLEN.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 03 June 17 03:11 BST (UK) »
A word of warning for  newbies to the caper -  don't ask the question if you are - AFRAID OF THE ANSWER.

Sorry it's a bit off topic but it's surprising how people are still in denial even after you show them the 'paperwork' i.e. certs. & a birth which clearly says 'Illegitimate'....
'How do you know that for sure'  ???  ::)

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 03 June 17 05:53 BST (UK) »
I had the opposite this week a man was convinced his birth cert had been changed and his parents had married shortly before his birth
Couldn't take in that their marriage was clearly 2 years before his birth .

That's not saying that there wasn't a previous pregnancy that pushed the parents to marry .
" Try telling my old workmates that i.m not a B* *

He was also unhappy that he wasn't from a Yorkshire family

Ps Annie no need to apologise .isn't the lighter side where we can be liberated to go off topic .have flights of unproven fantasy and generally knew away at bones if we want .