Author Topic: BLAKENEY AND CLEY : JOHN FARTHING  (Read 1324 times)

Offline belfordian

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
BLAKENEY AND CLEY : JOHN FARTHING
« on: Sunday 28 May 17 17:03 BST (UK) »
I am currently transcribing a book in which shipwrecks near Cheswick, Goswick and Scremerston in North Northumberland were recorded by the steward at nearby Haggerston Castle. The vessel Express was wrecked near here in early January 1784. The ship's Master was John Farthing of Blakeney/Cley . I believe he may have drowned in this incident as the castle steward was in contact with his brothers William and Robert re the salvaged cargo.

I have located the baptism and parents ( John and Mary) of the Farthing brothers but would like to know more about them. They were probably merchants.Can anyone help with info or point me in the right direction?

I would also like to know more about the Express. Date built, size, voyages, crew, etc. This particular voyage was from Frederichs Hall in NorwayNorway to Blakeney. Does anyone have access to more information on this vessel?

Val
GLASS (Northumberland, Fife, Roxburghshire)
DOCKWREY (South Shields)
REDPATH (Northumberland, Oklahoma)
SOUTHERN, SUTHREN, SITHERN (North Northumberland)
DARLING (Carham)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
Re: BLAKENEY AND CLEY : JOHN FARTHING
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 May 17 20:36 BST (UK) »
John Farthing was a mariner, like his son, as per his 1769 Will.  Robert Farthing was a merchant according to the Administration of his estate in 1807, his brother William was a Master Mariner as he was one of the people granted Administration.  John and Mary had nine children, including my 5xGGrandmother Anne.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day