Author Topic: MARRIAGE LINTELS of the East Neuk  (Read 1257 times)

Offline surfingpiglet

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MARRIAGE LINTELS of the East Neuk
« on: Sunday 28 May 17 18:14 BST (UK) »
I remember my father pointing out a Marriage Lintels when I was young and telling me they were his ancestors ( Grandparents/Great Grandparents ) .  Just wondering if anyone has ever done a photographic record of all the Marriage Lintels in Fife Villages.  I have looked and looked.  I know the house was near the coast, facing the sea ( East Neuk ) and set back a bit from the front street.   Many have now been plastered over but I would be interested to know if there is a photographic record anywhere - perhaps done in the 1960s when they were still more commonly to be seen.

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: MARRIAGE LINTELS of the East Neuk
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 May 17 19:16 BST (UK) »
Just Google East Neuk marriage lintels and you'll get several hits. Here's one, from Crail -

http://www.britainexpress.com/attractions.htm?attraction=5016

Harry

Offline surfingpiglet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 May 17 20:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks Harry.  I'll check out Crail lintels.  Incidentally I've just been to Fort George last week and seen the Chapel where Elizabeth Davidson and Joh Dick married in 1812.  Even though the Marriage Certificate said Inverness they told me there that it was most likely that he married in the Fort George Chapel as it was an honour which he was entitled to - and the Marriage Cert would still say Inverness. Lots of Photos if anyone else has an interest. Anne.

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 May 17 21:08 BST (UK) »
There's another marriage lintel above the door of 22 John Street, Cellardyke, for T.S. and M.D. 1709. Don't know who they were as the old parish records are missing for the period 1696 to 1712.

Harry