Author Topic: Missing / mystery location near Hatfield Chase / Thorne / Isle of Axholme  (Read 7744 times)

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Missing / mystery location near Hatfield Chase / Thorne / Isle of Axholme
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 01 June 17 18:10 BST (UK) »
The Black Bull Inn is on the first map link that I posted, to the South East of Thorne.

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 01 June 17 18:30 BST (UK) »
The Black Bull Inn is on the first map link that I posted, to the South East of Thorne.

My apologies, I missed that  :-[

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 01 June 17 18:36 BST (UK) »
Use Black Bull as ref tag point both maps

Course of old river Don - We know Middle Ing Hall was by the river Don

On the old map link  the old course of the track of the river Don - Start at Tudworth farm to Levels Farm then a gap, the river Don course goes South past some buildings ? by a Well & Pump

http://maps.nls.uk/view/102345109

On google sat map you can see the course of the old River Don by Brier Hill farm

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/The+Black+Bull+Inn/@53.5847242,-0.9266228,1845m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x48791bc6ec2c6397:0x5dfa551313fb05c5!8m2!3d53.5873721!4d-0.9181912
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline scatchardfamily

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 02 August 17 23:04 BST (UK) »
I know one of my ancestors lived at 'Middle Ing' or Middleing' near Hatfield Chase. But I cannot find this location. Can anyone help me pinpoint it?

Do you know his/her occupation by any chance?  :)

Frank.

OK, well my ancestor was Matthew Van Valkenburgh, already referred to in this thread. He was connected with the draining project.

Does someone have the means to overlay the old map with the new? I think there's a website somewhere where you do this kind of thing, but I don't know what it is.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 03 August 17 00:08 BST (UK) »
I know one of my ancestors lived at 'Middle Ing' or Middleing' near Hatfield Chase. But I cannot find this location. Can anyone help me pinpoint it?

Do you know his/her occupation by any chance?  :)

Frank.

OK, well my ancestor was Matthew Van Valkenburgh, already referred to in this thread. He was connected with the draining project.

Does someone have the means to overlay the old map with the new? I think there's a website somewhere where you do this kind of thing, but I don't know what it is.

Course of old river Don - We know Middle Ing Hall was by the old river Don course

(Click on blue text under the map image)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline scatchardfamily

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 03 August 17 00:19 BST (UK) »
'Middle Ings, North Toft and Heynes', with map

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C5146061

It would seem (Then marsh country wetlands bog with semi defined water course) the old meandering river course of the River Don spit near Thorne into two forks, one fork going to join the river Aire between villages Rawcliffe and  Airmyn, the other fork heading East to join the river Tren, across Hatfield Chase (wetlands) North of the todays canal from Thorne to the river Tent

This is a great find. Thanks.

Offline scatchardfamily

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 03 August 17 00:20 BST (UK) »

Offline scatchardfamily

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 03 August 17 00:22 BST (UK) »
Hi, just coming in on this  :) .
The book "Thorne Mere & The Old River Don" by Martin Tylor has a little snippet, Martin used among others, the historical sources of John Leland (1506 - 1552) who gives a brief description of his visit to Thorne and his boat journey from Thorne to Sandtoft, crossing Thorne Mere on his way.
The Middle Ings / Middlings is the area along the centre of which runs along the A18 (Scunthorpe Road to a local like me  ;) ) in the area of what is now the "Black Bull" public house.

Frank.

Added, I have not read all of the thread yet, apologies if I have duplicated anything.

Many thanks for this. Do you have a copy of this book / PDF online? Where can I get it?

Offline scatchardfamily

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 03 August 17 00:26 BST (UK) »
So, does anyone think we have a chance of finding the location where Matthew Van Valkenburgh's clearly sizeable house was? Presumably, on the site of another building now?