Author Topic: Re: Richard Walker  (Read 2155 times)

Offline r2walker

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Walker
« on: Monday 29 May 17 01:48 BST (UK) »
Looking for information (birth, parents of, etc) for a Richard Walker who died 13 April 1794 in Chesham.  Married to Eliz Pond on 26 August 1776 at Chalfont St Peter, Buckinghamshire.  They had 1 son named Richard born in 1777 and who died in 1855.  Any information or suggestions  is appreciated.  Thanks

Ron

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 May 17 12:32 BST (UK) »
Try here. http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/index.php/research/36-requested-searches/21-baptisms-searches

£1 per search, for a 100 year period of Buckinghamshire.

Steve. :)
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline r2walker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 May 17 23:15 BST (UK) »
i did a 100 year baptism search for Richard Walker 1700-1800 and i received 33 names. 
I was able to delete 10 more names that were born after 1776 ( that was the year he got married).
So i am down to 23 richards.   What is my next step in narrowing this down further?  Thanks

Offline Vance Mead

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 31 May 17 10:41 BST (UK) »
Have you also done their search for names in wills? This database has beneficiaries, witnesses, etc. It can be quite useful.
Mead - Herts, Bucks, Essex
Pontifex - Bucks
Goldhurst - London, Middx, Herts
Kellogg/Kelhog - Essex, Cambs

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 31 May 17 14:07 BST (UK) »
i did a 100 year baptism search for Richard Walker 1700-1800 and i received 33 names. 
I was able to delete 10 more names that were born after 1776 ( that was the year he got married).
So i am down to 23 richards.   What is my next step in narrowing this down further?  Thanks

Firstly.....if you have his age at burial, or his age from the 1855 death cert(which would be best), you can narrow your search down even more. (Age could be as much as 2-3 years out, as a baptism is not a birth date).  Baptisms usually occur within 6 months of birth, but that's never a hard and fast rule.
Then you can possibly go by birth(baptism) location.  Get an area map(Google Map) of Bucks......and plot the baptism locations. The further away they are, the less likely they'll be the right ones, but that method is not an exact science. ;D

For another £1, you can do a burial search for the same name, that may eliminate more.  If that does not reduce the candidates enough, then a £1 search for marriages.

Always go for the 100 year option, for all searches, as it may come in handy at a later date.

So for £3, you'll have all the baptisms, burials and marriages.  BUT, this will not include any Registry office marriages, only Church events.

Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.

Offline r2walker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 June 17 02:50 BST (UK) »
I did a marriage seach and Richard was married in 1776 at Chalfont St Peter. A year later he moved to Chesham and died there in 1794.
I found a county map for Buckinghamshire and eliminated a couple of areas that were far away.   I am left with:

Burnham    1759      (baptism dates)
Great Missenden   1755
High Wycombe  1764
Great Marlow  1764
Wraysbury  1765

Where do i get a copy of a death certificate for the 1700's and will it show his age at the time of death?   

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 June 17 13:27 BST (UK) »
How many results for the marriage of Richard Walker did you get.  If you have had several, then you could possibly eliminate several other Richard Walkers.  Also, a burial search for Rchard Walker may eliminate more.

No death certs available around that time......just Parish burial registers.  No guarantee of age being given in register, but until you do a burial search, you won't find out.

I'd discount for now the Wraysbury baptism, and possibly Burnham.  Most likely candidate is Great Missenden(for proximity), then High Wycombe, and Great marlow a distant 3rd.

I have BucksFHS Great Missenden Parish Transcripts on CD.  These other baptisms may help.

25 May 1755. Richd son of Jno & Sarah WALKER.
16 Mar 1757.  Elizth daughter of John & Sarah WALKER.
29 Apr 1759.  Hannah daughter of Jno & Sarah WALKER.
5 Jul 1761.   Wm son of Jno & Sarah WALKER.
13 Jan 1765.  Mary daughter of John & Sarah WALKER.

No Marriage for John & Sarah Walker in Great Missenden.  Nor marriages or burials for their children, that I can see within the timeframe.

I hope this help a wee bit.

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 04 June 17 18:10 BST (UK) »
I did a marriage seach and Richard was married in 1776 at Chalfont St Peter. A year later he moved to Chesham and died there in 1794.
I found a county map for Buckinghamshire and eliminated a couple of areas that were far away.   I am left with:

Burnham    1759      (baptism dates)
Great Missenden   1755
High Wycombe  1764
Great Marlow  1764
Wraysbury  1765

Where do i get a copy of a death certificate for the 1700's and will it show his age at the time of death?

Surely most of these baptisms are too late to belong to a Richard married in 1776? I know males could legally marry at age 14 and that there are also late baptisms, but most are at least 18 and usually 21 or above. I think you need to be searching for a baptism 1735-1758, bearing in mind that he may have been widowed and that some men married later in life.

Are there any others on your search results that would meet those years, or are you just left with the Great Missenden chap?

And just to make things even more complicated, of course, he may not even have come from Bucks!

Can I ask what your starting point was for Richard? i.e. working backwards, how did you identify the Richard who married Elizabeth Pond in 1776 as the right one? I have Walkers in Bucks and I know what a minefield it is, being such a common surname. Any unusual first names that might give clues? e.g.mine were partial to Roger, Job and Jasper as well as the more run of the mill ones!!

HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline r2walker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 04 June 17 21:23 BST (UK) »
Other baptism search for 1735 - 1758 includes:   

Cuddington -- 1756
Great Linford -- 1745
North Marston -- 1745
Wing --  1743