Author Topic: RETALLICK, St Columb Major (Elizabeth b 1829, Martha & Mary b 1834)  (Read 3690 times)

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Previously known as "neb_maat_re".
    • View Profile
Re: RETALLICK, St Columb Major (Elizabeth b 1829, Martha & Mary b 1834)
« Reply #18 on: Monday 09 October 17 02:35 BST (UK) »
Coincidentally, a Philip Burley born in Exeter (father's name Michael) around the right age marries Ann Crapp in St Columb Major in 1857. 

I think I have sorted this out, and it isn't a coincidence after all.

Philip Froom Burley is born in Exeter in 1833.

In 1857 in St Columb Major he marries Ann Clapp, born St Columb Major in 1835.

Children born to Philip and Ann are Margaret, 1857 St Columb Major, William John, 1860 St Columb Major, Philip Henry Froom, b 1863 & d 1864 Plymouth and Mary Annie, 1865 Plymouth.

The 1861 census shows Philip and Ann with Margaret and William in St Columb Major.

In 1864 Philip appears to serve time in Bodmin Gaol.  He is shown as unemployed and having 3 children.

Ann Burley dies in Plymouth in 1867.

Philip marries Mary Retallick in Plymouth in 1868.  Mary Retallick may be shown on the 1861 census as a servant in the home of George Tulley in Plymouth, age 25 born in St Austell.  There do not appear to any children of this marriage and Mary Burley dies in Plymouth in 1875, age 40.  The age at death suggests she could be Mary Retallick, born 1834 in St Columb Major, daughter of William Retallick.

Philip marries Amelia Reid in Plymouth in 1877.  Amelia is a widow born Amelia Tapp in Kingsbridge in 1834 who has had 9 children with her previous husband Isaac Reid, the third child being daughter Frances Amelia Reid born 1863 in Plymouth.

Philip and Amelia appear on the 1881 census with Philip's son William, several of Amelia's children including Frances and a child of their own, Ernest Burley, born about 1877 in Plymouth.  Although Ernest appears on subsequent census records I have not found his birth or baptism record.

Philip's son William and Amelia's daughter Frances are married in Paddington in 1886.

This family ... (according to familysearch.org) ... are in Plymouth in 1871.

There's something screwy about the 1871 census record I've found.  Since this is not directly related to the Retallicks I will start a separate query about that on the Devon board.

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Previously known as "neb_maat_re".
    • View Profile
Re: RETALLICK, St Columb Major (Elizabeth b 1829, Martha & Mary b 1834)
« Reply #19 on: Monday 09 October 17 02:39 BST (UK) »
I am still looking for Martha Retallick.

Any assistance with finding Martha greatly appreciated.