Author Topic: Henry Evans gravestone Caersalem conundrum  (Read 647 times)

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Henry Evans gravestone Caersalem conundrum
« on: Monday 29 May 17 08:11 BST (UK) »
Hello

I am hoping someone out there may already know the answer to this and/or can help.

Henry Evans of Cwmberem (mentioned in Trem Yn Ol) is buried at Caersalem (died 17/06/1890 age 68) along with his wife Jennet (died 12/06/1893 age 79) . On the same gravestone is Mary Thomas (died 02/05/1906 age 54) stated as second wife of Eleazer Thomas of Tygwyn Bach, Llanddarog . There is no mention of a relationship between Mary and Henry or Jennet, but I am presuming there must be if they are all buried together. Does anyone know the relationship?

Facts I do know is that Henry was married twice. In 1861 he is listed as a widow with a son Morgan 1week (I think) old. I think Morgan died young and that Henry's first wife was probably either a Hannah or Elinor Rees. His second wife was a Jane Jones. There are no reported children of Henry and Jane  in the census records. Jane on the gravestone is called Jennet and if I have traced her correctly was also called Jenet in 1851. I am informed that Jane/Jenet was first married to Rhys/Rees Davies who died 10 May 1852 in the Gwendraeth Colliery accident, though I don't know if this is correct. It is reported that Jane/Jenet/Janet's sister Rachel Jones married a Thomas Davies. (Rachel's first wife was Daniel Aubrey who also died in the Gwendraeth Colliery accident).

So far, I have tracked Eleazer in 1891 and 1901. In 1891 he is married to an Elizabeth and in 1901 to Mary (born Llangendeirne) and from this the likely marriage is Eleazer Thomas to Mary Jones in December Quarter 1896. Eleazer had many children!

The link therefore seems to be the Jones surname. I.e we have Jane/Jenet/Janet Jones, Rachel Jones and Mary Jones, but no idea what. Jane was born around 1815 Llangendeirne and her reputed sister Rachel was born around 1825  Llangendeirne. Mary was born around 1852 Llangendeirne and therefore to old to be a sister of Jane and Rachel.

Regards