Author Topic: William Smith- weston and wybunbury 1760-1780s  (Read 1883 times)

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Smith- weston and wybunbury 1760-1780s
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 30 May 17 16:35 BST (UK) »
Hi- I am so sorry! It would seem that the William Smith for whom i have the Probate issued to his eldest son Ralph actually died in 1817 in Englesea Brook and the probate was granted on 15th May 1818 and states that William smith was a widower (found in Cheshire wills  in Find My Past).
William owned the Maltkiln in the middle of the terrace of cottages in Englesea brook jointly with another and it is possible that he died there but I cannot find out any more at the moment.

The main objective here is to find out if Robert smith born 1763 (father william died 1762) is related to this William Smith who died in 1817 (Probate 1818) or his son Ralph who was born 1779- IGI shows his father was called William and was a labourer.

Robert Smith (1763-1826) who married Sarah also had a father called William smith and was known to be a labourer (but not a yeoman!) so he kept his working status- just need to try and find out where he and Sarah lived in Englesea Brook!
Are there any other records anywhere that may give me this clue?

Is there any way i can find out who Robert's  mother was (ie the wife of william smith who died in 1762 prior to the birth of his son robert in 1763)

It really is quite a tangle with too many people with the same names in close proximity!

Caroline
Roots/Day/Atkins - (Essex/Suffolk/ London)Bourne/Milner/Corden-(Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire)
Wood/Gibbs/Battrick/Fall/Budden-(Dorset)

Offline Jayson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 30 May 17 19:53 BST (UK) »
Does the will mention any other issue of William's apart from Ralph? Might help.

It's quite a tough project and I think one would have to spend many hours going through the parish registers extracting all the Smiths to find the answer you are looking for.

I'll have another look to see if I can find anything more tomorrow.

Land Tax Records might help in establishing where Robert lived if combined with other useful records such as Tithe maps, and I can have a look at these next time I'm at the RO.  They are also available online.

In the Wybunbury Grave Register is the following entry:

1826 Oct 16 Robert Smith of Englesea Brook at foot of John Scott's stone, aged 63 died 13th
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Smith- weston and wybunbury 1760-1780s- completed
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 30 May 17 20:53 BST (UK) »
Hi- I really appreciate all your help and it has been brilliant to have another pair of eyes to look at this research. i already have all the tithe maps as well as lists of owners and tenants paying rent right the way through the period in question and I have done my best to follow the tenants in the different properties but have still been unable to reach a decisive conclusion.
The main problem areas are the fact that I am dealing with such a commonsurname- Smith- and that there seemed to be several william Smiths in the area at the same time- each with their own families. My problem is exasperated by the premature death of Robert smith's father prior to his birth. I also cannot find any reference to Robert smith being a direct rent paying tenant to the land owners in Englesea Brook which implies to me that he must have been a sub tenant in which case records will probably not be held anyway!

I think the simple answer at this stage is to close this thread in very grateful appreciation of all your help- it has certainly given me a few alternatives to consider!
I only have the Probate for the william smith who died in 1817 with probate granted in 1818- but i will look again at the document to see if it is actually a Probate or a Grant of Administration- which if it is, would mean there was no will and under the laws of intestacy, the grant would have been given to his eldest son to administer his affairs as his wife had already died. so that is another avenue probably closed off!

Once again, many many thanks for all your help- I really do appreciate it!

Kindest regards

Caroline
Roots/Day/Atkins - (Essex/Suffolk/ London)Bourne/Milner/Corden-(Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire)

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 31 May 17 21:20 BST (UK) »
Can anyone look for me please to see if there is a link between these 2 baptisms to indicate that robert and samuel had the same father?

samuel smith bapt 27/7/1762 at wybunbury       father william smith

robert smith bapt 16/3/1763 at wybinbury         father William smith

I also believe that the father of Robert- William smith- died on 20th August 1762.

Would really appreciate any comment.

Many thanks

Caroline