Author Topic: John Burchall b 1774 Billingshurst  (Read 1084 times)

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad - 9 times Mayor of Arundel
    • View Profile
John Burchall b 1774 Billingshurst
« on: Monday 29 May 17 13:13 BST (UK) »
 John was son of John and Sarah.  Found on Billingshurst CD. .  I am looking for his marriage to a Hannah ? around 1795-1800.  Searched  CD can find no marriages.  However I find the following children to a John and  Hannah  1801 Rhoda, 1806 Elizabeth, 1808 James, 1814 Jesse, 1816 Mary. 

Elizabeth is very probably wife of John Redman who she married 1831 in Billingshurst.  However its difficult to prove any of this with certainty, once again driven by my gut instinct it is correct.

To make matters worse brother William also  married an Elizabeth Burchall  born about same time as other Elizabeth but  parents are Henry and Elizabeth but luckily I have made great progress and found her parents and lots more. so am now concentrating on John's Elizabeth.

Any guidance will be gratefully received.

I have exhausted all my research options for past couple of days  and although have done quite well I don't know where to turn! 

Maybe someone out there has Burchalls in their tree. 
Redman, Jupp, Brockhurst of West Sussex
Moore County Down. Redman of Posey, Indiana, USA Emigrated 1820

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Burchall b 1774 Billingshurst
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 May 17 16:31 BST (UK) »
I think there is another child, Maurice in 1822 son of John and Hannah.  Also baptisms for children to a John and Sarah Burchell as late as 1820 in Billingshurst and some for John and Mary.    Complicated!
Have you looked at the National Archives site?  There seem to be lots of removal orders/ apprenticeship records etc for the Burchall family.

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 May 17 16:46 BST (UK) »
I can't find a marriage either but I think there's another child of John and Hannah, Hannah, baptised 1803 in Billingshurst.

Possible marriage daughter Hannah:
Marriage 17 Nov 1830, Itchingfield
Hannah BURCHAL, otp
John WIDDEN, Slinfold

Which leads to:
1861 Census - Petworth, Sussex
Hannah Burchell; Mother In Law; Widow; 84 (b abt 1777); Wisborough Green, Sussex
Ref RG09; Piece 611; Folio 138; Page 15;

Hannah living with John and Hannah Widden, Hannah (wife) born abt 1804 Billingshurst.

1851 Census - Horsham, Sussex
Hannah Burcehll; servant; Widow; 2 (b abt 1779); Wisborough Green, Sussex
Ref HO107; Piece 1648; Folio 22; Page 8;

Possible death registration:
1863 Q2; Hannah Burchell; 86 (b abt 1777); Petworth; 02b; 179

There's a few possible baptisms for Hannahs in Wisborough Green:
1775; Hannah Hard; parents: Edmind and Mary
1776; Hannah Stening; mother Hannah
1776; Hannah Woods; parents: William and Jane

There's a few possible marriages for these Hannahs, so it may be possible to eliminate some.
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 May 17 16:53 BST (UK) »
There are a few TNA records for John Burchall in Billingshurst. The first is re. a settlement but it's not clear to me whether it's a settlement in Billingshurst or Wisborough Green (just to complicate matters further).

Billingshurst: Settlement certificate: John BURCHALL and wife Mary
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/8153e247-52fa-43a8-be00-cd30b091f2a6

Billingshurst: Apprentice list: John BURCHALL (age 10)
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/001198bc-4470-45c5-bde5-a67261b44e05

Billingshurst: Removal order: John BURCHALL
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/7042f8f3-d26f-44df-8931-d4b6035a7512
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 May 17 17:00 BST (UK) »
Possible marriage for daughter Rhoda:

14 Oct 1823; Pulborough, West Sussex
Rhoda Burchell (otp)
Richard Barnard (otp)
witnesses: Jane Elliott, Jas Overington

1851 Census - Pulborough, Sussex
Richard and Rhoda;
Rhoda born about 1801 Billingshurst
Ref HO107; Piece 1650; Folio 105; Page 22;

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 29 May 17 17:11 BST (UK) »
The Sussex Family Historian archives have an article from 2007 (Vol 17 No 5) about Burchall's of Guildford and Billingshurst. The dates are for the 1500 and 1600s but it looks like the author has done some extensive research so they *may* have yours on their tree.

If you're interested I'll send you the author's name and email address, which are on the article, via PM.

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 29 May 17 17:19 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for replies cuffie and sillgen.  You have given me lots to think about.  Will look into links you sent cuffie.  I will keep all info safe but before I go of searching for children of John & Hannah I really need to ascertain if they were parents of my Elizabeth.   If they are the information you have given re other children will be a great help.

After quite an absence from research am all fired up again and really enjoying this challenge.

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 29 May 17 17:26 BST (UK) »
The baptisms are on both FamilySearch and FindMyPast, both name parents as John and Hannah. The FindMyPast records are accredited to Billingshurst Local History Society so are hopefully quite reliable.

Given that we can't find any marriage for John and Hannah I suspect it's a bit unlikely there's another couple with the same names in the area. So it looks promising.

Good luck with your search.

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 29 May 17 17:35 BST (UK) »
The baptisms are on both FamilySearch and FindMyPast, both name parents as John and Hannah. The FindMyPast records are accredited to Billingshurst Local History Society so are hopefully quite reliable.

Given that we can't find any marriage for John and Hannah I suspect it's a bit unlikely there's another couple with the same names in the area. So it looks promising.

Good luck with your search.

Thats what I think too. 

Thank you so much,  much appreciated.
 :)