Author Topic: Sasine records - help!  (Read 4110 times)

Offline ThumbelinaPM

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sasine records - help!
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 31 May 17 15:06 BST (UK) »
thanks for the heads up - I had no idea!
here are 5 & 6 so that's the complete record I hope.

Offline ThumbelinaPM

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 31 May 17 16:33 BST (UK) »
Ptr could be Portioner...

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 31 May 17 19:04 BST (UK) »
Clip 5

finding to be reasonable he accepted of the said Bond unto his hands and thereafter (this word is cut off somewhat - I think it’s probably ‘delivered’) the same to me nottary
publick to be openly read and published in audience of himself and the witneses subscribing all which accord
-ingly I did and of the precept of seasine therein Cont(ained) which the Tenor follows attour To the effect the said andrew Thom
-son and his forsaids  may be the more Readily Infeft and seased in the said Lands Teinds and ap(u)rt(enances) forsaid
the yearly @rent as specified upliftable forth thereof I hereby Declare and Require you mathew Thomson younger
of whyteridge and each one of you conillie and seally my Baillies in that part hereby Specially Constitute that
upon sight hereof ye Pass to the ground of the said lands and there give and Deliver Heretable estate and
sasine Reall actuall and corporall possession of all and Haill my said Lands and maillings of Burnhead with

'conillie and seally’ – conjointly and severally – ie, together and singly
attour - over and above
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 31 May 17 22:47 BST (UK) »
Clip 6

seasine Reall actuall and Corporall possession of all and Haill my said Lands and maillings of Burnhead hous
-es biggings yeards moses muirs meadows parts and haill pertinents thereof Teinds parsonage and vicarage
of the same and of the yearly @rent forsaid upliftable furth thereof corresponding and [E    ing] to the bond price
[   ] sum all lying and possist as said is To the said andrew Thomson and his forsaids by Deliverance to them or
there Certtaine attorney or attorneys in there name Bearers hereof of Earth and Stone of and upon the Ground
of the said Lands with ane handfull of Grass and Corn for the said Teinds and a penny money for the said @rent
as use is providing and Declaring like as it is hereby provided and Declaired that theis presents and
supplements To follow hereupon Together with the said lands Teinds yearly @rent and agr(eements?) as specified are and
shall be Redeemable by me the said John Thom my heirs or assigneys from the said andrew Thomson or his

I'm guessing the word after 'corresponding' to the price is something like 'estimating' but can't quite see it.

It could be 'portioner' Thumbelina. I have only ever seen the word the written out in full, so don't know what abbreviation a scribe might use. What does it say in the Index for this sasine? Sometimes it will say in the listing if the person is a portioner.

Offline ThumbelinaPM

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 01 June 17 07:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks Goldie, this is great.

Yes he is listed as a Portioner on the index. Sorry I hadn't spotted that before.

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 01 June 17 09:24 BST (UK) »
Clip 7 & 8 & 9

forsaids at the said Term of whitsunday next or at any other Terme of whitsunday or Martinmass thereafter of the said
principall sum of five Thousand two hundred and fifty merks money forsaid and Haill bygone @rents
thereof that shall be Due and Resting for the Terme with what charges and Expences the said andrew Thomson
shall Lay oute in Infefting himself or his forsaids herein or in pursueing for the said maills and Dutys or
shall lay out in any manner for securing themselves anrent the premises or in Doeing Dilligence herein of
at which there own accompt subscribed with there own hand shall be probative Instead of all other probation whatso
-ver or by Lawfull Consignation of the same for there use and Behoofe the place of Redemption to be at the East
(cut off a bit) .. land Kirk at the south Entry thereof and the consignation Incase of absence or Refussall to be in the hands of
any responsall Landed man within the parish upon the perrill and Hazard of the consignor I the said John Thoms

-on my forsaid making True and Lawfull pronounation to the said andrew Thomson or his forsaids of our Intention
to [   ] two months at least Before using the said order of Redemption personally or att there dwelling place
in presence of a nother ane witness In E     and that thies presents or a coppie hereof or of the seasine To follow hereon shall be as Sufficient for useing the said order of Redemption as if there were particular letters of
Revision made subscribed and registratt a part  for that effect and upon aur makeing payment or consignat
-ion as above  the said andrew Thomson and his forsaids shall be bound and obliged to Reside and dwell them
-selves of the said Lands Teinds and aprs and of there presents and Infeftment to follow herein In our favours

and grant us all writers needfull for that purpuss upon aur own charges allennerly and this an no ways ye
have undone the which to Doe  I hereby commit to you conllie and seally my full power by this my precept of sea
-sine for that Effect In witness whereof I have subscribed these presents wryten upon stamped paper Conform to act of
parliament  [   ] by andrew Clark writer in the Shotts consisitng of this and the three preceeding pages at wester
(cut off)..ffat the twenty second day of July Jaivijle and fifty seven years Before these witnesses John Clark son to
the said andrew Clark and the said andrew clark writer hereof (sic subs(cribed)) To: Thom John Clark wittness andrew
clark witness after Reading of which Heretable Bond and precept of seasine therein cont(ained) * the said andrew Thom

* the usual phrase here is ‘therein contained and above inserted’ - but I can only guess at all the abbreviations used here!

allenarly = http://www.dsl.ac.uk/entry/snd/allenarly

I think there must be just a little more to finish it off Thumbelina.

Glad to see we found out he is 'portioner'.

Offline ThumbelinaPM

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 02 June 17 15:56 BST (UK) »
You're right - there is this clip too.
I hope that is the end of the sasine as I don't have the next page!

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 03 June 17 06:40 BST (UK) »
   witness after Reading of which Heretable Bond and presept of sasine herein cont(ained) & above inserted the said matthew Thom
-son Baillie forsaid gave and declared Heretable State and Seasine Reall actuall and Corporall possession of all and haill
the said lands and mailling of Burnhead and app(ertenances)s forsaid with the pertinents thereof Teinds parsonage and vicarage of
of the same and of the yearly @rent forsaid upliftable furth thereof To the said andrew Thompson [  ] and that by Deliver
ant to the said andrew thompson of whiteridge as prtr and attorney for him of Earth and stone of and upon the ground
of the said lands and of ane handfull of corn and grass for the said Teinds and a penny money for the @rent as case
as the forme and Tenor of the said Bond and precept of Seasine In all points whereupon and upon the haill premises
the said andrew Thomson prtr forsaid asked and Took Instruments ane or more in my hands these things

There should be another couple of lines that say when it was done, (eg ‘between the hours of three and five in the afternoon’), which day, and the names of the witnesses.
If you haven’t got it, and you ordered them from NRS, I suggest you ring them up and see if they can help you out if you really want that last bit.

You can see that Sasines follow a pretty  much set pattern - with people's names and places changing, and whatever piece of land that was being passed on.
Perhaps you will be able to make out more on the next one - and each one gets easier!
Good luck!

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 03 June 17 08:11 BST (UK) »
Sterling work, goldie61. Very impressive.