Author Topic: Looking for Dyer's from Legatinty Co Roscommon  (Read 2763 times)

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Dyer's from Legatinty Co Roscommon
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 30 May 17 14:04 BST (UK) »
I cant find any birth/death records for him. Although on the census link that you sent me that does look like that would have been him.

He's not the same Dyer though that died on 11.01.1944 in Ballinasloe though is he?

I'm pretty convinced that the 1911 census return is correct in light of the son John being the correct age; the number of years married being correct and the visitor's name being CAREY a variation of his wife's surname

When you look at the 1911 census for Margaret with her family she has a brother Henry
He was born on Jun 10 1897 LINK; his mother's name being FARRELL
This is her sister Ellen CARRY b. Nov 20 1892 LINK which is about 17 in 1911

He cannot be the man who died in 1944 as he is listed with his wife Winifred and family in 1911 in Roscommon
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline Tammy Siobhán Meaney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 30 May 17 14:18 BST (UK) »
Definitely what you have found there with John Dyer is correct. He was also known as Jack Dyer - My grand mothers Brother. The connection to Roscrea is also correct. When my Grandmother married on 10.01.1940, her father was mentioned on the cert which to me would show that he was still alive at the time? I could be wrong. Her mother Margaret did die young so I am certain the death record you located also is correct. I just cannot seem to find out any more about James himself - birth and death wise.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 30 May 17 14:29 BST (UK) »
There are too many James DYER/DWYERs in the Tipperary area with a father named John to be certain of a birth without more information

I would be 90% that his mother's name was Margaret based on the children's names
However that is not 100% and there are several John DYER/DWYERs with a wife named Margaret at the time
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 30 May 17 14:30 BST (UK) »
References to a person being deceased is not consistent on records - it depended on the registrar
I would take it that a person was deceased if mentioned but not assume they are alive if it is not

Have you tried to locate a burial for Margaret as James may be buried with her
Further generations:

Offline Tammy Siobhán Meaney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 30 May 17 17:12 BST (UK) »
Yeah I have tried looking for details on Margaret. I will keep looking though. Thank you so much for your help though. You have given me some great help!!