Author Topic: Thomas Pride And Alleged Municipal Election Fraud, in Newark around 1875  (Read 670 times)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello There,

I have recently been looking into my Pride family ancestors and some of their relatives. I have discovered that Thomas Pride (1846 - 1893) was a Nephew of one of my 4x Great Grandad's. He appears in the Newspapers quite a few times in the 1870's. He was a boatman, and lived in Fiskerton, and Newark at various times.

Anyway what I am trying to find out please, is this:
Thomas was apparantely called to give a statement in court, at the time after some local elections in the (East Ward?) of Newark. The result of the election apparently went to court. This appeared in the Newspapers in January 1875. It appeared on the 16th of January 1875, and there is a really big section in "The Nottinghamshire Guardian" dated 22nd of January 1875. Thomas Pride (and others) seems to give statements that they were invited into a pub in Newark for food, and were not asked to pay.
What I don't seem to understand is what was the case that the prosecution were trying to put against (I think) the Conservative party at the time? The piece seems very long winded and convoluted to me. I could not work out what the final verdict of the judge was also.
Any information regarding more of what this case was about, and it's outcome would be gratefully accepted. Thank you very much.  :)
Thomas Pride had not long before this, appeared in the same paper dated 5th of December 1873: He was charged with using abusive and threatening language to a Mrs Footttit. The defendants said in court that this was an: "electioneering job(?)"

Once again, thank you.  :)  ;)