Author Topic: Dominant Line  (Read 1065 times)

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dominant Line
« on: Tuesday 30 May 17 23:14 BST (UK) »
Hi

Having had my DNA results now for 8 months and having time to go through my matches, one recurring theme seems to have emerged.

1 line is very dominant ie most of my matches fall into one quadrant. My maternal paternal line seems to be very strong in my high matches. There may well be many reasons and foremost its a coincidence of numbers and who else has tested.

But I wonder if this is a common theme amongst those who have tested and if there is an explanation for this?

Have you come across a strong quadrant/line?
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
Re: Dominant Line
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 May 17 23:33 BST (UK) »
My maternal paternal line would also be giving me most of my matches, but I think it's just that they were the ones who left or left earliest. That combined with one family arm who all seem to have been tested.
Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344

Offline lemur41

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 May 17 14:00 BST (UK) »
Hi David

I don't match you at all, but I do co- share 4 matches in common with you. I see a couple of surnames in your list that are possible, I'm happy to send you my Gedmatch no. by pm if you want to compare.
It would certainly help me please  to know more

regards
lemur41

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 June 17 01:46 BST (UK) »
I think it can depend on how many children survived to adulthood in your various lines.

One of my gtgt-grandmothers had almost a dozen siblings who lived to adulthood and had children.  She had 60 to 70 nieces and nephews.  Her husband had five siblings who survived to adulthood.  He had about 40 to 50 nieces and nephews.  This couple had a dozen children, one of whom is my gt-grandfather.  80% of my known matches are from this line.

Another of my gtgt-grandmothers was born in London.  She emigrated in her teens (shortly before her stepfather abandoned her mother) and she had 11 children.  You'd think there'd be at least one match from the 8 who survived to adulthood would have turned up but not yet.  That's a shame because I have no record of my gtgtgt-grandmother prior to her first marriage in the 1840s.  And there certainly are some other mysteries that DNA from this line might solve such as who on earth was her husband, because I can not find any trace of him prior to when he emigrated.  The earliest record at this stage is his name on the manifest.  This gtgt-grandmother had three full-siblings and two half-siblings survive to adulthood, but there weren't many offspring.  At least two of her siblings died quite young from TB and perhaps if she'd stayed in the London the same would have happened to her.